Avast! Dreadfleet on the painting table...

Epaka

After wrapping up painting the core box of Mythic Battles, I needed to work on something different before pressing on with all the stretch goals I have yet to paint. So I am getting going on my copy of Dreadfleet from Games Workshop. I picked up a copy recently for a very low price.

Now... I know that Dreadfleet is out of print, unsupported by GW, not popular, and not even a very well reviewed game. But that didn’t matter to me. It’s the first pirate genre mini-based game I’ve seen that really captured my interest. The minis are absolutely incredible and I love the blending of high-fantasy and nautical themes. I’ve started by tackling some of the terrain before I test my abilities with the ships. Here’s the first piece I’ve done:

2175AB4F-61CC-42E7-AC5A-28901D551B54.jpeg

0C969D28-52C5-4987-BAFA-A02ED012B959.jpeg

• Like 3

I've never heard of this game, but I really like this terrain and the way you've painted it. The contrast between the very dark rocks and the lava is great, the stairs seems to be made from another kind of rock, brought from afar... it works very well, in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to seeing more miniatures and terrains from this game! Have fun painting them!

• Thanks 1

Well, I love it.

After my post, yesterday, I had a look through a search engine and this game is quite different from the other I've seen on this theme. I guess it will be a real change to paint these ships instead of miniatures of people. The scale could be challenging as well, indeed, as some ships seem to have a lot of details.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Not Quite Dead!

The ship wheels with skeleton design are used to make turns with the ships. You align the wheel on either the right or left front of the ship base and rotate the ship accordingly. The thing that looks like a ruler with a dragon/serpent skeleton is actually three sections long, totaling 18 inches, with two joints that can be pivoted and locked into place at 45 degree angles. This is used to measure movement, as well as determine range and firing arcs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moving so slow these days with regards to painting minis. House renovation ALMOST done. So hopefully back to normal soon. Anyways, got the last of the Dreadfleet ephemera done: a marker which indicates wind direction, or if flipped, indicates the arrival of the Maelstrom!... Actually not 100% sure what that means in terms of gameplay as I’ve not played this game yet, but I like the sound of it!

6760D5D3-3276-431A-8F33-F6F33C1ACC26.jpeg

C40A6C50-C5DF-4873-B929-54763D480A6D.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sadly, no. The next step is assembling and painting the large ships, and I really want to get an airbrush so I can get good gradients on the sails. I moved back over to getting more Mythic Battles minis done. Also, received the terrain and stretch goals for Nemesis, so I’ve been picking away at those. 

B6768E31-ED67-4E71-B03C-5575EA809500.jpeg

1FE6F82F-F9BD-47D5-B929-9E231DE38847.jpeg

BAB1264E-8921-42C5-B613-3AF36190F12C.jpeg

21ABF921-6BE5-4B41-94B2-9F57A976ABA1.jpeg

0D9549D0-E25C-4984-8310-A673C99EA9B8.jpeg

C7B6EDF5-42D0-4AA3-B53E-28DBD75834CF.jpeg

• Like 1