drmauric

The Nemedian Chroniclers

"Know, oh Prince...."

Welcome to the Nemedian Chroniclers hub! The Nemedian Chroniclers are an Overlord Community group that are passionate about creating quality fan made content for Conan by Monolith. Our first project was Whispers from Stygia.

Our goal is to produce engaging, well playtested, visually pleasing, and downloadable scenarios for both the Adventure Mode and the Solo/ Co-Op Mode found in the Monolith Sourcebook.

Here, in this thread, we hope to create a place to share ideas, roll out information about our projects and maybe even form new creative teams for future projects.

Everything produced by the Nemedian Chroniclers will be "UNOFFICIAL". However, he hope to become a name you can trust for top-notch, well designed material.

Chronicles of Vengeance is our next project. It's a six part solo/co-op campaign that features villains as the Heroes and the mysterious new Summoner archetype. Coming soon! 

The Nemedian Chroniclers are @Matt John S @Ken @Primeval @drmauric

20191206_093251.jpg

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, frodorik said:

thanks for your work. Dump question...how to downloadi t?

"Chronicles of Vengeance" is not quite finished, but coming soon! It will be available for download here on The Overlord.

• Like 1

This is great!... looking forward to it.  Happy to help with play testing if required.  Are any of the 3 big box expansions required to play?  I have the Kings pledge along with the two tile sets for the sourcebook material... is the enough for this campaign you're designing?

3 hours ago, MikeM said:

This is great!... looking forward to it.  Happy to help with play testing if required.  Are any of the 3 big box expansions required to play?  I have the Kings pledge along with the two tile sets for the sourcebook material... is the enough for this campaign you're designing?

Yes, the 3 big expansions are needed for the upcoming Chronicles of Vengeance project.

But stay tuned here for future projects. We have been hearing the call for more scenarios using just the corebox, so that is probably next on our list. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

These campaigns are all excellent with super production qualities and the effort put in to create them is very much appreciated. 

I've mentioned some of these ideas elsewhere, but thought I'd list them again here.

1. The latest campaign has boon cards for ongoing positive bonuses. How about doom cards for ongoing negative traits that are carried through the campaign. 

2. The campaigns that draw on the full range of material available have most interest to me, especially using the widest range of maps (including maps from MB Pantheon). However, I appreciate some folks may not have all of the expansions and it may be better to narrow the focus to be as inclusive as possible. One option may be to offer optional scenarios. That is, if for example the Heros win/lose they go to a specified scenario that may offer a couple of options depending on the maps that the player has available. Another, easier to implement, option would be to have pre/post campaign scenarios that use maps from expansions. These would not impact on the campaign itself but perhaps help to flesh out the story etc. I believe Mat did something similar in the Modiphius sourcebook (for different reasons). 

3. The quality of the material deserves professional printing. Any advice on print services for getting the various material printed to a higher quality than possible at home would be great. This is especially the case for cards etc that have a front and back and really need to be printed on the same card stock as those in the core game. Getting Monolith to publish one or more in a future compendium would also be terrific. I'd pay to have them in the current KS... 😉

4. Now Monolith have published details of their new KS, it would be interesting to know what material you may consider including in future campaigns. I'll be getting the legacy pledge and will probably be adding the demons faction in the pledge manager. This means I'll have the dragon, 8 black ones and the temple map. If folks know what your future plans are, it may help them to decide what to pledge for in the KS. With the proviso of course that nothing is official and future plans may change. 

Cheers

Lee

• Like 3

@Calumma

Thanks for the feedback and ideas! I'll try my best to respond-

1. The negative "boon" is a great idea. I think we will definitely be in touch with you on this for our next big campaign. This was definitely a "why didn't we think of that" moment for me. Looking forward to trying this idea out.

2. This is complicated and subject to debate, even within our ranks. We desire to make content that will be used. We don't want to waste time on something that won't be. The most efficient use of our time is to focus on material that everyone has. The Retail Core Box. However, we also like to play with all of our toys. I think that you will see a good mix coming from us as time goes on. Maybe a Retail project is next. Lots of folks have inquired about that. I think it's important for folks to speak up like you have done. So, thank you, your perspective here is noted. 

3. I print at Office Depot and am happy with the quality. I punch holes and put it in a 3 ring binder. The cardstock there isn't the best, but I'm also at the limit of what I want to pay to have material printed.  I agree, printing from home isn't a great option, I'd recommend a local print shop or like Staples or Office Depot. (I live in the US, so that's what I'm familiar with)

4. I can't speak for the other guys- but I am excited about the new content. The new maps, Dragon and Black Ones are sure to be used. It's just too early to tell how. We haven't really discussed our next  Nemedian Chroniclers project yet. But I am thrilled that these items are getting wider availability, that means we can be more confident that if the Chroniclers write for those components that the scenarios will be more widely used. So stay tuned. 😉

Thanks again. 

Edited by drmauric
  • Like 2

With regards to (1), a quick thought is an 'injuries' deck for characters that are 'killed' during a particular scenario (or take some other scenario specific damage). Players draw a card at random (or roll on a table to keep the paper overhead down) with an injury that affects their abilities. Loss of dice, downgraded dice (eg red to orange, orange to yellow), loss of gems or a permanent weight burden (meaning carrying objects will more quickly cause the character to lose skills etc). You could make these as severe as you like, right up to the point that a character can barely carry on and his colleagues decide to leave him in the mud 😀

You  could also have cursed objects in chests that the character cannot discard until they achieve some campaign goal. Armour that saps energy without providing protection, a helmet that blinds the character until removed etc. 

For campaign play I like sub objectives that run across the campaign. Helps link everything together and gives players more things to think about. Do I search these chests to find the antidote to the poison I was infected with last game or focus my attention on helping my party rescue the princess (or prince!) to win the scenario. Yes things rapidly become unbalanced, but that doesn't matter when everybody is having a great time. 

• Like 4

These are some great ideas @Calumma, and will certainly be considered. We have to finish a current project first, but I am already having some ideas for implementing these, even if as special rules in a single or mini-series of events. Thanks for the input and your support of our efforts!

Edited by Primeval
  • Like 2

@Calumma Sub objectives is another great idea. 

Have you ever tried writing a scenario? If not, you ought to give it a try. Here's a great website that you can easily edit and format scenarios. I'd be willing to follow along with your progress and playtest. You have great ideas, maybe give them a try see how they play out. If nothing else, you'll gain a little insight into what we do and maybe a whole new perspective on the game. 🙂

https://www.conan-scenarios.com

• Like 1

I've not written any scenarios for Conan yet, mainly because I'm mostly a Wargamer and my scenario writing is generally in that direction. We try to play board games one evening mid week, but Conan competes with other games. So it's also a case of too little time. 

Whilst I enjoy Conan, I'm not so well versed in all of the stories so also struggle a bit thinking what characters to include. I do enjoy writing scenarios for the games I'm more familiar with though so I may well consider putting a few scenarios together as I get more acquainted with Hyboria. 

More info on my gaming stuff is on the blog

• Like 1