Atali tempts Conan

garbetsp

Question on rebasing: How do you make sure it's solid on the base for play? I understand if they're for show one can keep them in a case and handle delicately, but for table top use they have to be sturdy enough for regular handling. I've seen several rebased that look positively fragile with a tiny point of contact and just a spot of glue. Atali struck me as somewhat solid across her base, so I wasn't worried.

On 12/7/2020 at 2:56 PM, garbetsp said:

Question on rebasing: How do you make sure it's solid on the base for play? I understand if they're for show one can keep them in a case and handle delicately, but for table top use they have to be sturdy enough for regular handling. I've seen several rebased that look positively fragile with a tiny point of contact and just a spot of glue. Atali struck me as somewhat solid across her base, so I wasn't worried.

Depends on the mini and base.

If the contact surface is large enough versus mini's size and weight, superglue is generally strong enough for gaming. For example, if you glue a plastic mini of a human with its 2 feet on the ground, it generally holds.

If not, it's safer to pin the mini to be base before glueing. Same example as the above with a metal mini, or a plastic mini with just one foot on the ground.

Pinning can also be necessary if the base is heavier than the mini itself. For example when you weigh the base with a fairly heavy coin/washer.

In the case of transparent acrylic bases, pinning is generally an issue, you just have to rely on glue. But it generally holds because the surface is very flat and smooth (=good adhesion), and plastic minis are lightweight. Luckily, until now I only had 1 plastic mini that detached from an acrylic base (I used too little glue, so I had to re-glue it).

Edited by Roolz
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. I suspected these things, but it's good to know. I've had to weight a base in another game where the mini came way out over it in the front making it unstable. AB epoxy and a tiny fishing weight did the trick.

5 hours ago, Roolz said:

In the case of transparent acrylic bases, pinning is generally an issue, you just have to rely on glue. But it generally holds because the surface is very flat and smooth (=good adhesion), and plastic minis are lightweight. Luckily, until now I only had 1 plastic mini that detached from an acrylic base (I used too little glue, so I had to re-glue it).I

It's my understanding that super glue is incredibly strong in one direction and very weak side to side. If you have something super glued it can be near impossible to pull apart (the bond being stronger than the material) but if it takes a hit to the side it can just let go with little force. If the surface is crinkled or too rough then the bond direction is scrambled and it does not adhere well.

14 hours ago, garbetsp said:

It's my understanding that super glue is incredibly strong in one direction and very weak side to side. If you have something super glued it can be near impossible to pull apart (the bond being stronger than the material) but if it takes a hit to the side it can just let go with little force. If the surface is crinkled or too rough then the bond direction is scrambled and it does not adhere well.

Indeed. Basically, all adhesives are weaker on the sides (shear strength), some more than others. And it highly depends on the surfaces and materials.

• Like 1