Whispers from Stygia Special Edition

Ken

Whispers from Stygia Special EditionCONAN_Whispers_From_Stygia_Self_Print-1.thumb.jpg.5d2932197d4962f7dafb39ff657a2984.jpg

"Know, O Prince, that in the time when Conan the Cimmerian sat upon the Throne of Aquilonia there arose whispers from Stygia. Whispers of a scheming sorcerer whose black heart
was set upon vengeance ..."

Whispers from Stygia Special Edition is an updated campaign originally released in 2018. It was designed by the Conan Overlord Community at the-overlord.net. This special edition requires the Core game, as well as the following expansions: Stygia , Khitai , Nordheim , Yogah of Yag , Crossbowmen, and the Kushite Witch Hunters . 

This special edition contains 7 Adventure Mode scenarios in a campaign where the outcome of each scenario will determine how well equipped the heroes and overlord are when they meet in the final scenario, which will determine the winner. It also includes the same 7 scenarios converted to Solo/Coop Mode, for a total of 14 scenarios. It also includes the relevant game board rules for easy access, as well as campaign rules for both game modes.

Finally, we are providing this special edition in three formats: 

1. Web Version - this is a single PDF file that you can use digitally. The images have been compressed. CONAN_Whispers_From_Stygia_Web.pdf

2. Self Print - this is a single PDF file that you can print at home or your local print shop. CONAN_Whispers_From_Stygia_Self_Print.pdf

3. Hardcover Edition - this is two PDF files, one for the cover and the second for the interior content that you can send to a print-on-demand service for a hardback book. I will also provide step-by-step instructions on how to use Lulu, if you choose them as your print-on-demand service.   

CONAN_Whispers_From_Stygia_Hardback_Cover.pdf  

CONAN_Whispers_From_Stygia_Hardback_Interior.pdf

Hardcover Printing Instructions for Luluimage.thumb.png.c2980404d96cbbb902fa6b05bee58482.png

Since this is a free, fan-made book, I am not morally or legally allowed to set up a print on demand distribution. Which means you will need to set up an account with a print on demand company and upload files for printing (for personal use only). The directions I list below are for the company Lulu, but you are free to use any print on demand company you choose. 
  1. Go to lulu.com and create an account.
  2. Under the CREATE tab, click the PRINT BOOKS option.
  3. Click the button START YOUR PRINT BOOK
  4. Enter your login credentials
  5. In the START YOUR PROJECT section, choose PRINT BOOK
  6. In the SELECT YOUR GOAL section, choose PRINT YOUR BOOK. (Do NOT select Publish your book for sale on Amazon. You will get sued. 🙂 )
  7. In the BOOK DETAILS section, enter a project title of your choice. I recommend Whispers from Stygia. Enter a language and CATEGORY, which is required..
  8. Click the DESIGN YOUR PROJECT button at the bottom of the page to proceed to the Design page
  9. In the INTERIOR FILE UPLOAD section, upload the file named “CONAN_Whispers_From_Stygia_Hardback_Interior.pdf”
  10. Wait for the file to upload and normalize. This can take a few minutes. Be patient and get yourself a cold beverage.
  11. When the upload finishes, you will see some warnings. Like most warnings in life, feel free to ignore these.
  12. In the BOOK SPECIFICATIONS section, the BOOK SIZE AND PAGE COUNT should already be pre-filled at A4 and 40 pages, respectively.
  13. In the INTERIOR COLOR section, choose COLOR PREMIUM for the best quality color.
  14. In the PAPER TYPE section, choose 80# COATED WHITE for the best paper quality.
  15. In the BOOK BINDING section, choose HARDCOVER. Feel free to choose a different binding if that floats your boat.
  16. In the COVER FINISH section, choose GLOSSY (because who doesn’t like glossy over Matte, right?)
  17. Wait a moment for the PRINT COST to load. For me it is $15.55. This is a printing fee for Lulu, and I do not receive a penny of this, nor does Monolith.
  18. In the DESIGN YOUR COVER section, make sure the UPLOAD COVER FILE option is selected.
  19. Upload the file named “CONAN_Whispers_From_Stygia_Hardback_Cover.pdf”
  20. After a minute, the PREVIEW will load. This preview will give you a basic idea of what the book will be like, but it is just a preview and not super-high quality.
  21. When you are ready, click the REVIEW BOOK link at the bottom.
  22. This brings you to a page where you can review the final specifications. Click the checkbox next to CONFIRM BOOK SPECIFICATIONS AND FILES
  23. Click the ADD TO CART button when it becomes enabled
  24. Click the CART icon at the top of the page and make the purchase. The shipping for me was around $5.00, but of course that will vary depending where you are located. (Also keep an eye out for discount codes on the home page.)

Feel free to print a copy for  yourself or your friends, but DO NOT PRINT COPIES FOR SALE.
Note: The hardback book I received from Lulu was not perfect. There was an alignment issue with the binding, there was a scratch on the back cover, the interior margins were tight, and the endsheets were a boring white. Overall, however, I am highly pleased.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I bought it. 

It cost me 19.78 with a discount code they had for January including shipping. 

What a deal.

Ken you're amazing. I'll have this book forever in my library and remember the day I teleported from one hut to another and opened the treasure chest to win the game on the last turn with the extra gems I had from the stygian scepter. 

Classic stuff of hyborian legend!

• Like 2

It took a long time at preview for me. The problem is likely their end, they have some script rendering the whole order into a pdf for review, then downloading to your browser. Very intensive. Long enough wait you can get network/server timeouts in the communication. It worked for me, but I had to sit and wait about 4 minutes.

• Like 1

Thanks very much Ken. I used Lulu in the UK and it's £11 plus postage (using INSPIRE10, usable til 5th Feb). I ordered 2 books and postage was only £3.74. The preview looks very good, I'll let you know about the printed version when it arrives...........

Now just need the kickstarter with the expansions etc to turn up 😀

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello and thanks for the great book. Just sharing some printer feedback - my hardback cover had a line going down the side that looked like a color problem or ran out of ink.  There was another issue that lulu had to address with the cover anyways, but for this  they said 'I am able to see that the line on the front cover is not present on the source file, but does appear on the print-ready file.  This appears to be the result of unflattened transparencies within the file that become visible as part of our normalization process. '  They then sent me a link to a flattened hardcover file and had me revise the upload for them to reprint it.  I used the files provided here for lulu but if no one else was having any issues maybe it's nothing on this end after all; I just wanted to share in case this means anything to anyone else out there :)

color line 1.JPG

On 4/5/2022 at 1:11 AM, bmash said:

Hello and thanks for the great book. Just sharing some printer feedback - my hardback cover had a line going down the side that looked like a color problem or ran out of ink.  There was another issue that lulu had to address with the cover anyways, but for this  they said 'I am able to see that the line on the front cover is not present on the source file, but does appear on the print-ready file.  This appears to be the result of unflattened transparencies within the file that become visible as part of our normalization process. '  They then sent me a link to a flattened hardcover file and had me revise the upload for them to reprint it.  I used the files provided here for lulu but if no one else was having any issues maybe it's nothing on this end after all; I just wanted to share in case this means anything to anyone else out there 🙂

I just checked my copy (french version), the cover looks fine.

Note that Lulu uses a network of local print shops, as close as possible to the order/delivery point. So I believe it adds to the variability of the physical printed books (plus the usual variability due to print-on-demand process). This might also explain that.

• 2 months later...

We played the first 2 scenarios yesterday and found the scenarios quite tough for the heroes, especially the first one. How did everyone else find the scenario difficulty? Perhaps the heroes need to rethink the strategy 😀

The scenarios are certainly deeper, presenting some interesting strategic and tactical choices - more so than the standard scenarios. Oh, and the book is gorgeous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Glad you are enjoying the book despite the difficulty. 

It's been a good long while since I've played it but sometimes when a scenario seems lopsided it could be that a special rule was missed that might have helped. Or it could be the Overlord just played a good game and got lucky. Or the Heroes need to rethink their strategy and maybe work together better, like you said.

Heroes should keep in mind that they don't necessarily have to all survive to win. Sometimes a "noble sacrifice" might give the extra gems need to tip the scales in the Heroes favor. For example in scenario 1, only Hadrathus needs to escape. It doesn't matter who else survives. So if Yogah stays behind to keep the Evil Hound busy or if Shentu spends all his gems to kill units hindering Hadrathus and can't escape or Ikhmet spends gems to hand items to Hadrathus so he doesn't have to spend gems- that's all valid. The Heroes need to work together closely to accomplish the goal- make sure everyone has a proper understanding of the onjectives.