Pict huts

I've made some pict huts in wood....with lolly stick!
100_7701.JPG

The curtains are made with an old cloth and help us remembering about the "1 more movement point"
The bases are made with some foamboard. You can take off one wall if Conan or the serpent destroy it with wall wrecking
And it's easy to store as you can dismatle every part ;) 
You can add a roof by gluing some branch on a cone paper shape.

hutte 1.jpg100_7689.JPG

Step by step  :
Cut the lolly stick
tuto 2.jpgtuto 3.jpg
Paint it with a wash of the same paint used for minis
tuto 4.jpg
Cut the foam board and glue it

tuto 5.jpg

You've done!

tuto 6.jpg

100_7691.JPG

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

No pics to show as they got squashed but got some really nice roughly built primitive huts by snipping random bits off the lolly sticks (lot of shallow triangles in the mix) with scissors.

drop 'em into a yoghurt pot with watered ink, pour it into another pot and fish 'em out of the bottom, spread out to dry.

Built up panels by roughly overlapping horizontal messy rows using PVA wood glue like horizontal siding made by a drunken lumberjack or a high tide wood pile. If you'd waited till now to stain it to bring out the wood look you'd find the PVA stops the stain from reaching much of the wood - it looks like pale freckles and you have to paint it to look like wood. Not hard but nicer to use the wood and just highlight it instead.

Picked the most appealing side for show and glued on retaining posts of bamboo kebab skewers halved along the length with a hobby knife. Not entirely easy to keep to the middle but the failed bits make good frames for hide tanning, fish-drying, and leaning weapons against. Nowadays I'd make some with vertical slats for variety.

The worst bits intended for the panels makes a convincing teepee like bonfire but I proved to be rubbish at painting fire....  so mine just smoked a bit of duvet stuffing.

I didn't (and they wound up squashed to bits in a draw) but for more structural strength (always a plus) you could cut panels like Doucefeuille did above and just glue the messy siding to the outside, but then the inside of the hut would look different. A way round that would be to smear from a dried up paint pot (which of us doesn't have those) on the inside to represent primitives mud daubing the inside to windproof/weatherseal. Folks do that, or hang rugs/weavings - a lot more painting heh.

McDonalds wooden coffee stirrer sticks are a great width for snipping off to make roofing shingles for a less primitive look. They'd also make ideal planking trackways for those marsh maps. Round support posts from the skewers - they come in packs of 20 or 50 heh

3D terrain takes effort but adds so much and lasts for years - so long as you have a box for it because wives push your books into drawers and ignore those crunchy crackling sounds

Making it to fit right over the map features as Doucefeuille did is genius, still look great on a wargames table for skirmish games too

Edited by Stonewolf