Jump to content
SentMa

Line of sight tool for Batmn - Yours feedbacks

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I was in summer vacation. Sorry for the delay. (I'm not an employee of Monolith, I'm doing it on my spare time).

 

@Johnnymaxx

About the elevation informations, we plan to do something from the start but it takes some times.

I'll write here when I have more informations about that.

 

@Carquinyoli

About the subway map ,

 

1) Z-D LoS touch the wall, even if it's just a little, it's how the rule works, that's why Z-D is wrong and Z-between the 2 wagons is right.

 

2)There are 3 ways to have a LoS :

- 1) Separated by an orange line 

It's not OK for Z-A line

- 2) Centers of zone share a letter

It's not OK for Z-A line

- 3) You can draw a line between the 2 centers without crossing a wall

Z-A line cross a wagon wall, so it's not ok.

So there are no LoS between Z and A

 

For Z-B and Z-C, a letter is shared.

 

All the boards have been double checked by Monolith but a mistake can still be there.

For these LoS, the tool is right, it has been confirmed by Monolith.

 

If you have an other question, please ask me.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • I'm Batman! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pamplerousse said:

Hello,

I was in summer vacation. Sorry for the delay. (I'm not an employee of Monolith, I'm doing it on my spare time).

 

@Johnnymaxx

About the elevation informations, we plan to do something from the start but it takes some times.

I'll write here when I have more informations about that.

 

@Carquinyoli

About the subway map ,

 

1) Z-D LoS touch the wall, even if it's just a little, it's how the rule works, that's why Z-D is wrong and Z-between the 2 wagons is right.

 

2)There are 3 ways to have a LoS :

- 1) Separated by an orange line 

It's not OK for Z-A line

- 2) Centers of zone share a letter

It's not OK for Z-A line

- 3) You can draw a line between the 2 centers without crossing a wall

Z-A line cross a wagon wall, so it's not ok.

So there are no LoS between Z and A

 

For Z-B and Z-C, a letter is shared.

 

All the boards have been double checked by Monolith but a mistake can still be there.

For these LoS, the tool is right, it has been confirmed by Monolith.

 

If you have an other question, please ask me.

 

 

Thanks for answering Pamplerousse! 

What I don't understand is why ZD and ZC share  a letter but not ZA, when the situation looks pretty similar. 

I mean, if I don't use the tool, how would I know? The criteria used for sharing or not a letter. 

Thank you again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Carquinyoli said:

Thanks for answering Pamplerousse! 

What I don't understand is why ZD and ZC share  a letter but not ZA, when the situation looks pretty similar. 

I mean, if I don't use the tool, how would I know? The criteria used for sharing or not a letter. 

Thank you again! 

 

I think you mean ZB and ZC who share a letter dans not ZA.

The letter is here for 2 kinds of LoS :

Disambiguation - the LoS is valid but there is wall so they add the letter to confirm that the LoS is valid

Add exceptions - a LoS which is not allowed because a wall is crossed but with the difference of levels, the designer wants to have a LoS between these 2 zones.

 

The potential explanation is that ZB and ZC are more elevated than ZA.

About how can you know without the tool, just by following the 3 steps in my precedent message :

 

An orange line between the 2 zones, a LoS exists.

A letter is shared, a LoS exists.

A line which doesn't cross a wall can be drawn between the 2 centers, a LoS exists.

(To see what is called a wall, you can look at the map rules at the end of mission book)

 

And if you think it's sometimes tricky (Like the Z-D one), the LoS tool is here for that 😉

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all!

I come back here for another doubt, this time regarding to Crime alley map.


Why there's no LOS here, between Batman and the guard on the roof:
Uon_fLiXuAGb6fNHDwQobAtpYu1mBAcNleSPXXhd
According to LOS app there's no LOS between these 2 areas, but I do not understand why. What is blocking LOS?
Izo3M1d62y1dxz8t5f_xSzbh_UdwYzFgFEApPwkr
The wall on the left of the car is very low so cannot block it... any clue?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wall is blocking the LOS. There is no defined "height" for walls. If a line of sight goes through a wall, it is blocked (unless there are shared letters in the two areas). We also stumbled over that wall multiple times already, but according to the rules, it blocks the line of sight between the two miniatures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Radulf said:

The wall is blocking the LOS. There is no defined "height" for walls. If a line of sight goes through a wall, it is blocked (unless there are shared letters in the two areas). We also stumbled over that wall multiple times already, but according to the rules, it blocks the line of sight between the two miniatures.

I am afraid not:

PYCToswpge9zQ8d2DWYFgXRhcZf42tpLNlhXY2pS

On screenshot above that same wall that is NOT blocking LOS from bottom-left roof to the car's area (which is next to the wall) or to the tiny area between the car and the bottom building (and LOS markers do not share any letter, so they see each other - without the wall blocking - as in my previous message).

 

So I'm afraid there must be something else we are missing, or it's badly indicated on the app. Because looking only at the board (without the app) you would say that there is line of sight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The car at the wall has the letter B, just like the roof, the area above the car has a shared E with the roof and the LOS to the area below the car goes below the wall, thus the car and the areas above and below are visible according the rule of walls blocking the LOS. Do you have any other examples that seem to go against that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Radulf said:

The car at the wall has the letter B, just like the roof, the area above the car has a shared E with the roof and the LOS to the area below the car goes below the wall, thus the car and the areas above and below are visible according the rule of walls blocking the LOS. Do you have any other examples that seem to go against that?

 

No, not that I can think of, at least for this map. But if you scroll this page upwards, I had similar issues with the Subway map. Have a look if you like and share your thoughts. I wasn't really satisfied or convinced with the kind answers and explanations from Pamplerousse (although I really appreciate the effort). Some LOS were blocked by the wagons and others, following the same criteria, were not, have a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 6:30 AM, Carquinyoli said:

 

No, not that I can think of, at least for this map. But if you scroll this page upwards, I had similar issues with the Subway map. Have a look if you like and share your thoughts. I wasn't really satisfied or convinced with the kind answers and explanations from Pamplerousse (although I really appreciate the effort). Some LOS were blocked by the wagons and others, following the same criteria, were not, have a look.

So, first of all I want to say that I agree with you. I feel that this is one very weird example of line of sight that was not fully thought through by the designers when addin the letters for clarification,, because thematically speaking it seems pretty clear that these two areas should have LoS to each other.

However, going by the rules as written, and by the 3 steps told by Pamplerousse, the explanation is that the line crosses a wall and, therefore, there is no line of sight.

According to Pamplerousse, and it is also as the rules are written, you check point by point these 3 things to know if the zones have line of sight:
1) separated by a yellow line
2) share a letter
3) a line between the spots doesn't cross a wall.

In the Batman vs guard on the roof case, they cross a wall and there is no letter, so there is no line of sight. In the other image you are showing of zones that have LoS and crosses that wall, they all have a letter to confirm that. So, In my humble opinion, what happened here is that someone should have written a letter in the "batman" zone so it could share a line of sight to that roof over there, but it was not done so, and so by the rules, they don't have LoS to each other.

It's the best explanation I can think of, and it is (again, my opinion) wrong, as it clearly should have LoS.

Edited by Johnnymaxx
mistype
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our website uses cookies to guarantee you the best navigation. By continuing your visit, you confirm that you accept these cookies. Our Cookie Policy has other terms. Privacy Policy