Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

My next challenge is mounted Thorgrim, and I'm not sure about the illustration of mounted Rexor. Which one do you like best, the last one or the previous one?

And another question, all Liutenants have lost one skill in their Mounted version, should the Fangs lose the :sacrifice: as well?

I think so because they are though (Defense 4) and if they protect Rexor and Thorgrim who are heavy hitters, the heroes are doomed.

And last question. Minion Mounted tiles are Dismounted when they suffer 1+ Defense points of damage. For the Fangs it means they'll be Dismounted only when they suffer exactly 5 points of damage. Needless to say, this would seldom happen. I think this adds an unnecessary complexity and it would be better if only Liutenants could be Dismounted. What do you think?

Edited by Arthadan

6 hours ago, Arthadan said:

And another question, all Liutenants have lost one skill in their Mounted version, should the Fangs lose the :sacrifice: as well?

I think so because they are though (Defense 4) and if they protect Rexor and Thorgrim who are heavy hitters, the heroes are doomed.

Yes, I think they should lose it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arthadan said:

And last question. Minion Mounted tiles are Dismounted when they suffer 1+ Defense points of damage. For the Fangs it means they'll be Dismounted only when they suffer exactly 5 points of damage. Needless to say, this would seldom happen. I think this adds an unnecessary complexity and it would be better if only Liutenants could be Dismounted. What do you think?

Not sure this could be the solution...

Let me check the rules and all the tiles again and better...

• Like 1

For mounted Thorgrim, I have these pictures + other riders (for example maybe first pictures could be used with the Rexor horse ?

For your question: When mounted characters can be dismounted ?

Globally I find the defense value of mounted Vilains too high so difficult to dismount with the actual rules as you said.

In fact, it is quite difficult to use all his agility when you are fighting on horse, it is different when you can do all the movements you want on ground !

I think that it would be better to process the defense rate of riders with a specific method for example:

- First, define a basic value linked at the armor used:

• 0 if they have no specific armor, 
  • 1 Leather/Thick clothing, 
  • 2 Mail, 
  • 3 Plate (or you have no armor but you are cimmerian whose name is Conan ! :dwarf:)

-  add + 1 for art of war experience to specific riders.

Thus for the Fang of Set: Thick clothing = 1. Thulsa doom: Plate+Art of war= 4 but Rexor 2 (Leather & Art of war) & Thorgrim 3 (mail & Art of war).

- Moreover a mounted warriors is difficult touched because of the speed of the mount! So Maybe a +1 bonus could be given for horses in displacement..But this obliges us to use token and to manage movement! A simplification would be to add 1 by default because riders. But when riders don't move it is not fair to give them this bonus. For example, when Thulsa doom is not moving, he is an easier target !

So these changes, would allow riders to be easier dismounted.

PS: do you think @Arthadan it would be possible to increase the size of the Fang of Set and to rise him on the card ?

He seems a little small in comparison of the other riders and it's a pity because he is beautiful !

Note: I think that does not matter if the rear part of the horse in the improvement is hidden by the symbols on the card and if the head of the horse go in the brown margin of the card!

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 3

Thanks @Xaltotun but I think a lot of congratulations are for you too! Your role should not be underestimated !

You have produced a lot of rules, you give often a wise advise about the projects and you give us a lot of material that allows the project to move forward!

Without you the project wouldn't be where it is !

Thus I 'm convinced that congratulations are for the whole project team!:dwarf:

• Thanks 1

A little surprise, another campaing card:

And this is the text:

The first time an Overlord character enters this area, the trap is sprung. The characters suffers :rouge::rouge: points of damage and cannot apply his Armor value against this attack.

The idea is that there will be 10 areas marked with skeletons miniatures and before the game starts the Heroes will chose what to place in each. The options will be:

- Item (5 areas out of 10): when a hero is in one of these areas, he can draw a card from the Asset Deck with a simple manipulation. When the item is picked, the skeleton is removed.

- Trap (3 areas out of 10): with the effect described above. When the trap comes into play, the skeleton is removed. 

- Nothing (2 areas out of 10): this areas act as a decoy, because the OL need to approach them catiously because they could be traps. The skeleton is removed after the first Ol character enters the area.

Thoughts?

trap.png

Valeria_back.png

• Like 4

Once again great Job @Arthadan !!!:dwarf:

So @Arthadan to be certain to well understand the ideas:

- All the tokens are placed by the heroes team before the beginning of the game.

- 5 of them are similar to chess and contain items. If so, only heroes can interact with them.

Note 1: but heroes prepared the place so they should know exactly which items are hidden by the skeletons, aren't they ? So hazard must not take place !? Or they are old treasures hidden by ancient folks?

Note 2: Is the OL interact automatically with the skeletons ? If so, if skeletons hide items are the tokens replaced by chess once until heroes interact with them ? Or OL could use these items for his own purpose ?

- 2 of them are ...empty and act as decoy! Ok this is obvious, no question!

- 3 are traps: How do they work ? Is it automatic as soon as an OL character enter in the area ? Is there an identifier that links it to a description on a card ?Is there no way for the OL to avoid the trap and suffer the effects ?

Remember what @Xaltotun said:

TRAPS

When an enemy moves on the trap token the heroes can decide to turn and play it (how? Rolling a dice?).
Thulsa Doom knights didn't know the terrain of the battlefield: Conan Subotai and Akiro did.

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All the tokens are placed by the heroes team before the beginning of the game.

That's right.

ITEMS

The Asset Deck will only have javelins and potions. I think there is no need to further specify the exact item in the area. They work as chests (the OL cannot interact with them), only that a simple manipulation is enough to pick the item because the heroes know where it is and there is no lock.

TRAPS

They all work the same, first OL character entering the area suffers the trap damage. I think is fair the heroes chose where to place them, but these are not explosive charges with a detonator they can activate when they want. These are pits with stakes at the bottom and such. I'll keep the first entering miniature gets the damage rather than allowing the heroes to pick which one they want to harm.

• Like 2

And another campaign card idea:

The Standard of Set

At the start of the furst OL turn, when miniatures are already deployed, the OL chooses any miniature from the Fangs of Set tile and places the Standard token (I have to make it) with it.

If the standard bearer dies, the OL cannot get reinforcement points for the rest of the game.

This and the traps should prevent the Overlord from making an all out charge for the Princess tin the first turn.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arthadan said:

All the tokens are placed by the heroes team before the beginning of the game.

That's right.

ITEMS

The Asset Deck will only have javelins and potions. I think there is no need to further specify the exact item in the area. They work as chests (the OL cannot interact with them), only that a simple manipulation is enough to pick the item because the heroes know where it is and there is no lock.

TRAPS

They all work the same, first OL character entering the area suffers the trap damage. I think is fair the heroes chose where to place them, but these are not explosive charges with a detonator they can activate when they want. These are pits with stakes at the bottom and such. I'll keep the first entering miniature gets the damage rather than allowing the heroes to pick which one they want to harm.

And what about the arrows? It would be interesting to use them as specific items like in the movie in specific spots!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florentin said:

And what about the arrows? It would be interesting to use them as specific items like in the movie in specific spots!

Well, in this game arrows are not separated items, bows are supposed to come with infinite arrows. I rather respect the standard rule than add unnecesary complexity with optional rules for limited arrows.

• Like 1

New version of the Mounted Combat rules:

In this campaign the Overlord will command mounted warriors. They are fast and powerful, but a good blow will put them to the ground, leaving them at disadvantage.
The benefits of being mounted are many: Movement Value between 4 and 5, Armour Value increased by 1 point, improved Melee Attack dice and a new skill called Trample. Mounted tiles are represented by their own tile, and they are distinguished by the illustration and the movement icon of a mounted warrior.

Trample Skill
- The Trample attack is a new Movement skill available only to Mounted models.
- It cost is 2 Movement points. 
- The attack can be Defended but not Parried.
- If the attack is succesful, the defender is Knocked Out (see below).

Mounted units
They have two tiles: Mounted tile and Infantry (Dismounted). They must be of different color as they represent different profiles.
Horse and rider are considered a single miniature. When the character takes damage, is killed as normal.

Liutenants
They are represented by two tiles, one Mounted and Dismounted. They are Dismounted when they suffer at least the loss of
2 life points in a single melee attack. When this happens, replace his Mounted tile in the River with his Dismounted tiles if he has survived the attack. To determine if the character has
been lucky enough to land on his feet, roll a:jaune: with a result of 2 symbols no further consequences will happen, otherwise the character is Knocked Out (see below).

Dismounting
A Liutenant may Dismount as a movement action costing 1 Movement point. Replace his Mounted tile with his Dismounted tile in the River. Further movement after dismounting is not allowed unless the Overlord uses Movement benefits. He cannot mount back because his horse is assumed to run away.

Knocked out warriors
Place the miniature lying down on the board. Being Knocked Out has the following consequences:
- The character cannot attack.
- The character can defend normally.
- Any melee attack against the character has an elevation bonus dice .
- The character will need to spend 1 movement point to stand up.

- Mounted miniatures cannot perform Melee Attacks against the Knocked Out character, but they can Trample him.
- Once dismounted cannot mount again (the horse is assumed to run away).

Edited by Arthadan
Edited: Dismounting added
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Well, in this game arrows are not separated items, bows are supposed to come with infinite arrows. I rather respect the standard rule than add unnecesary complexity with optional rules for limited arrows.

I would add an option for those who would like to live the same scene than in conan !

Subotai had not infinite arrows and no more quiver because he ran a lot!

Easy rules: 10 arrows tokens are put on the map in different area. Ex.: 3 in the same area. Thus, Subotai could shot but only 3 times in the area with a bow...

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Arthadan said:

And another campaign card idea:

The Standard of Set

At the start of the furst OL turn, when miniatures are already deployed, the OL chooses any miniature from the Fangs of Set tile and places the Standard token (I have to make it) with it.

If the standard bearer dies, the OL cannot get reinforcement points for the rest of the game.

This and the traps should prevent the Overlord from making an all out charge for the Princess tin the first turn.

Thoughts?

I think the easiest way should be change the OL object in: Kill Conan & Subotai; if Thorgrim and Rexor die, kill Yasmina.

This is the best way to keep on focusing on the movie. Many Doom riders arrove on the battlefield from the mound where the princess is tied, but never stop or dismount to free her: it seems that their primar order is to kill the two 'hosts'...

And what's Doom attack? I guess it's a punish expedition. 'He'll see the smoke and come to kill you', cried Yasmina...

Could it be working?

So, I'd change the OL first Object, but I'll keep the traps... like @Arthadan purpose: no remote control for the heroes: please, don't ask what I was thinking of 😰

• Like 1