Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

8 hours ago, Arthadan said:

@FlorentinSorry if my choice of words wasn't the most fortunate. Of course this is a collaborative effort and I see myself as another team member and  perhaps coordinator, nothing more.

But as a team member I have the right to chose to work on whatever parts of the project I'm more interested.

Simply put, I wasn't banishing the possibility of advanced rules (nor do I feel myself entitled to take any kind of unilateral decisions like that), just saying I prefer to devote my time to work on another parts. If another team member is interested in exploring that possibility, go ahead and share!

I'm totaly agree with you @Arthadan !

I want to avoid absolutely the decisions that kill initiatives and generate frustrations but advices and point of view can be given by all! And as you said people that do the job do what they want! 

You did a wonderful and important work! 

I think it is important that those that want to create their own vision could do this if they have time and energy! 

After it is better if they are not alone to believe in the new idea they propose but if not that doesn't mater, this post is a place for all ideas even the worst !

We are here for having fun and to share our 82's movie passion! 

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2017 at 11:35 PM, Xaltotun said:

Yes, the standard of Set has 2 functions: help ro find always Doom in battle, and more is a moral boost , yes!

I think that, keeping in his seight, Fangs of Set and Leaders too could be affected by a bonus: either +1, or :jaunerel: or even a  :jaune:.

Furthermore, in the same areas where Doom is, Stanrdard can recall immediately all fangs and leaders to defend him,  regardless of hindering (giving the +1 in movements if they are dismointed, but on its line of seigh).

What do you think?

I've been thinking about the standard. I think the Mounted tiles already have a powerful attack and if we improve it, it can be an issue.

I have mixed feelings about the rally thing. On one hand is a good idea, but on the other hand we don't see that in the film.

Whatever it's function, it will arrive with Doom.

• Like 1

We could leave the standard ideas as pending and start our tests from the last rules you posted (couple of pages ago).

Then we can exchange each other our opinions and results. I'm sure that the tests will help us to understand what work, what doesnt, and what could work.

I think we could start to divide the map in areas putting the centre circles in each.

Sure some changes will be necessary also in that, but we'll learn playing: so definitely I think we need to work on the map now.

• Like 1

In this scenario, heroes are supposed to level up during the campaing, reaching level 2 (the highest in the campaing). The effect of gaining levels is getting new skills (with no exertion limit). 

For Conan, I suggest this one, as he should be the ultimate close combat killer:

Conan_level2a.png

Suggestions for Subotai? I'm thinking about :allonge:

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

In this scenario, heroes are supposed to level up during the campaing, reaching level 2 (the highest in the campaing). The effect of gaining levels is getting new skills (with no exertion limit). 

For Conan, I suggest this one, as he should be the ultimate close combat killer:

Conan_level2a.png

Seems good and logical!

Maybe it would be time to try to manage globaly the skills tree of the campaign in order that the evolution be consistent? 

How many scenario would be played? 

Attack of the village? 

In the pits ?

The Wolfe escape & the thing in the crypt?

The Witche & Subotaï encounter?

The serpent tower ?

Inn encounter with osric knights?

The Mountain of Power infiltration?

The tree of woe?

The caves?

The battle of the mounds!

The ultimate encounter? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Florentin said:

Seems good and logical!

Maybe it would be time to try to manage globaly the skills tree of the campaign in order that the evolution be consistent? 

Attack of the village? 

In the pits ?

The serpent tower ?

The tree of woe?

The caves?

The ultimate encounter? 

To keep things simple, we have 8 scenarios but there is one specific for each hero, meaning each hero will play 6.

Characters start at level 0. Level 0 takes away ione skill from their hero sheets, as they are young inexperienced adventurers.

After 1-2 scenarios, they will reach level 1. At level 1 they will be as they come in the hero sheets.

By the end of the campaign (having played at least 4 scenarios) they'll turn level 2. Level 2 is the last one and they'll gain a new skill.

I think it adds some "campaign" flavour with hero progresion, but at the same time we keep things simple and easy to manage.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 2

In the official 1st Campaign Book by Monolith heroes are supposed to play 7/8 scenarios, I guess, and there are 3 levels for each hero; but I agree it's better to keep things simple. Anyway, starting with the last scenario (or at least one of the last) will help us to understand if 2 are enough or one more is needed.

Some skills suitable for the heroes:

SUBOTAI

- Evasive image.png.f350f5bd4dfd62be3d160dd64d79602b.png (he moves a lot during the battle, escaping several times from dangerous situations)

- Precision Shot image.png.1b53924f432c0a054fadcffea1d469da.png (a great archer he is!)

- Bodyguard image.png.2189e68bb9348ace41494dbc6fd443ff.png, but maybe Support image.png.c461f8d3cf216f8745f9f2fb404e99a3.png will be more appropriate (remember when he saves Conan?)

CONAN

- Support image.png.15aa6ae65f36cbf2312b430e77ee7f65.png

-Counterattack image.png.49006ee1c65f5ecdad20ab42331c215e.png

- Circular Strikeimage.png.4a3d9c68aa00a001d0f0fe1bcd485860.png

What do you think?

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Florentin said:

Seems good and logical!

Attack of the village? 

In the pits ?

The serpent tower ?

The tree of woe?

The caves?

The ultimate encounter? 

@Florentin: you made the list!

-Attack of the Village --> could be a kind of bonus scenario to be played, since no hero is really involved in; but it can be very nice to play it as an Overlord, don't you think? Maybe could be a scenario were the Overlord define his first state.

-In the Pits --> Difficult to create one.

-The Wolf escape & the thing in the Crypt --> MASSIVE!

-The Witch & Subotai Encounter --> Any idea?

-The Serpent Tower --> Could be very good to be played on multifloor tabletop (ex, Kithai)

-Inn Encounter with Osric Knights --> not impossible to work on, I guess (some changes from the movie could be requested)

-Mountain of Power Infiltration --> can be one

-The Tree of Woe --> I think you and @Arthadanhave already discussed about it some pages ago... don't you?

-The Caves --> other MASSIVE scenario!

-The Battle in the Mounds --> OK

- The ultimate encounter--> it can be done, it depends on how many changes we want to do.

Another one could be "The Search" (when Conan leaves to search for the double snake), but maybe it's good more for an adventure than a single scenario.

Sure it's better to make a choice: I like the idea of 6 scenarios + 1 for each. My only doubt is: Sure you don't want to include Valeria as a third player? Girl players would love her... and not them only!

Anyway, this was just to share some global view to help finishing the Battle in the Mounds.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Conan_level2a.png

1 hour ago, Arthadan said:

And Subotai!

Subotai_level2.png

WONDERFUL!!!

PS. Would you like different images for each level?

24 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

In the official 1st Campaign Book by Monolith heroes are supposed to play 7/8 scenarios, I guess, and there are 3 levels for each hero; but I agree it's better to keep things simple. Anyway, starting with the last scenario (or at least one of the last) will help us to understand if 2 are enough or one more is needed.

Some skills suitable for the heroes:

SUBOTAI

- Evasive image.png.f350f5bd4dfd62be3d160dd64d79602b.png (he moves a lot during the battle, escaping several times from dangerous situations)

- Precision Shot image.png.1b53924f432c0a054fadcffea1d469da.png (a great archer he is!)

- Bodyguard image.png.2189e68bb9348ace41494dbc6fd443ff.png, but maybe Support image.png.c461f8d3cf216f8745f9f2fb404e99a3.png will be more appropriate (remember when he saves Conan?)

CONAN

- Support image.png.15aa6ae65f36cbf2312b430e77ee7f65.png

-Counterattack image.png.49006ee1c65f5ecdad20ab42331c215e.png

- Circular Strikeimage.png.4a3d9c68aa00a001d0f0fe1bcd485860.png

What do you think?

Subotai already has in his hero sheet:  image.png.f350f5bd4dfd62be3d160dd64d79602b.png image.png.1b53924f432c0a054fadcffea1d469da.png image.png.2189e68bb9348ace41494dbc6fd443ff.png

Conan already has: image.png.4a3d9c68aa00a001d0f0fe1bcd485860.png

Akiro has:  image.png.15aa6ae65f36cbf2312b430e77ee7f65.png

I think Conan and Subotai should gain combat-related skills for the last scenario. As explained above heroes only get new skills at level 2. We only need to pick 1 skill per hero.

I think Conan getting :cp_precis: is only fitting.

Not so sure about :allonge: for Subotai.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

Subotai already has in his hero sheet:  image.png.f350f5bd4dfd62be3d160dd64d79602b.png image.png.1b53924f432c0a054fadcffea1d469da.png image.png.2189e68bb9348ace41494dbc6fd443ff.png

Conan already has: image.png.4a3d9c68aa00a001d0f0fe1bcd485860.png

Akiro has:  image.png.15aa6ae65f36cbf2312b430e77ee7f65.png

I think Conan and Subotai should gain combat-related skills for the last scenario. As explained above heroes only get new skills at level 2. We only need to pick 1 skill per hero.

I think Conan getting :cp_precis: is only fitting.

Not so sure about :allonge: for Subotai.

Ah sorry, I didn't check the sheet now.. 

"Not so sure about :allonge: for Subotai".

I think it's good for him: he's intelligent, fast, brilliant archer, but now is more a warrior than all. And he uses a spear.

I think it's good and I suggest that maybe we can decide that a spear has +1 against mounted rider.

It's not to change too much the rules, but eventually to define only a further aspect of the mounted combat, without introducing other complications about weapons. That's all.

Opinions? 

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

@Florentin: you made the list!

-Attack of the Village --> could be a kind of bonus scenario to be played, since no hero is really involved in; but it can be very nice to play it as an Overlord, don't you think?

>> I think so too !

Maybe a bonus skill could be won for Conan with this battle ?

-In the Pits --> Difficult to create one.

>> I do not know...I saw both the Spartacus serie and I remembered big arena battles! Maybe that could be realized for Conan! Maybe struggle against animals too & monsters?

-The Wolf escape & the thing in the Crypt --> MASSIVE!:dwarf:

-The Witch & Subotai Encounter --> Any idea?

>> the witch goes away as fireball form but comes back in evil form with wolfs & minions ?:dwarf:

-The Serpent Tower --> Could be very good to be played on multifloor tabletop (ex, Kithai)

>> Yes ! This is the goal !!! (Moreover it was the scenario I created for the Tunnels & Trolls roleplaying game for my first time as GM! :sorcerer:)

tt.thumb.png.f59bed9a7edaf30bd3baf73f74757817.png

-Inn Encounter with Osric Knights --> not impossible to work on, I guess (some changes from the movie could be requested)

-Mountain of Power Infiltration --> can be one

-The Tree of Woe --> I think you and @Arthadanhave already discussed about it some pages ago... don't you?

>> :wink: You have read old posts! Yes it was true! I did not believe in this scenario there were few months  but now if we think about what could have occured maybe we could create a big battle between Subotai vs Fangs & Vultures!

-The Caves --> other MASSIVE scenario!:dwarf:

-The Battle in the Mounds --> OK

- The ultimate encounter--> it can be done, it depends on how many changes we want to do.

Another one could be "The Search" (when Conan leaves to search for the double snake), but maybe it's good more for an adventure than a single scenario.

>> When do you place this scenario ? Between the crypt and the witch ? or when Subotaï & Conan ran from city to city ?

Sure it's better to make a choice: I like the idea of 6 scenarios + 1 for each. My only doubt is: Sure you don't want to include Valeria as a third player? Girl players would love her... and not them only!

>> It is not a question: Valeria must be one of the hero !!!!:dwarf::dwarf::sorcerer:

Anyway, this was just to share some global view to help finishing the Battle in the Mounds.

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1