Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

It'd be nice to have 2 different traps to use with different consequences... What do you think?

When can create a new token...

Pit trap 1.jpg59da3365132ff_PitTrap2.thumb.jpg.a563afc1e08edf85d9cc774fd71e6679.jpg

(stakes still missing from the second one)

...or we can rearrange the original square pit trap in the round token we use.

59da2daab2bb5_FullSizeRender9.thumb.jpg.f767e5571ce0ef78b123f43961e7be21.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

Ok. I tried to rearrange the helmet tokens in this way: I definitely have not fallen in love with this token and maybe you prefer something more elaborate; it's just a starting point to understand the direction to follow. Made some number more... never knows...

59da288aaa9da_tokenheroesfront1.thumb.jpg.7d2d4226c4cbfd51a3f46fc5b8f1e649.jpg59da28852a936_tokenheroesback1.thumb.jpg.a77c5c9c2fb85bc288c90b736af0d43e.jpg59da288648bc0_tokenheroesback2.thumb.jpg.b3e8a8a4465f3012e61df9f5e15d437f.jpg59da2887504d4_tokenheroesback3.thumb.jpg.9e9efe20f5bfb03ac719d44bdb634739.jpg59da28885221b_tokenheroesback4.thumb.jpg.d7ce1a8f60141cbe765656fcd0865236.jpg59da288945e33_tokenheroesback5.thumb.jpg.281416654ae45e5b7fcefa6d10cdc663.jpg

Thanks! But I think they should be hero-specific (two for Subotai and two for Conan) . I'll make those, no problem.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

@Florentin

My apologies...

...You're right: IT'S A DAMNED TRAP!!! :blue:

IT'S A DAMNED TRAP.jpg

Yes but I understand in the movie on the CD I did not see a scene that I remember where a horsemen fall in the pit trap ???

I wonder if they did not cut the scene in the DVD version ???

When I will have time I will plug my videotape recorder to check this ....

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

It'd be nice to have 2 different traps to use with different consequences... What do you think?

When can create a new token...

Pit trap 1.jpg59da3365132ff_PitTrap2.thumb.jpg.a563afc1e08edf85d9cc774fd71e6679.jpg

(stakes still missing from the second one)

...or we can rearrange the original square pit trap in the round token we use.

59da2daab2bb5_FullSizeRender9.thumb.jpg.f767e5571ce0ef78b123f43961e7be21.jpg

Your tokens are wonderful !!!! Thank you very much @Xaltotun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Florentin said:

I ask myself if it wouldn't be easier if we add on the trap token directly the damages ?

Or do you prefer to have a list where damages depends of the scenario ?

In my opinion there are 2 options:

1) pre-determinated damages for each trap --> in this case we can add them directly to the tokens;

2) Determinate the damages by rolling the dice (from no damages to death) --> in this case we can decide different kind of damages for each kind of trap, or different ways to determinate damages, depending on the trap.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Xaltotun said:

Ok. I tried to rearrange the helmet tokens in this way: I definitely have not fallen in love with this token and maybe you prefer something more elaborate; it's just a starting point to understand the direction to follow. Made some number more... never knows...

59da288aaa9da_tokenheroesfront1.thumb.jpg.7d2d4226c4cbfd51a3f46fc5b8f1e649.jpg59da28852a936_tokenheroesback1.thumb.jpg.a77c5c9c2fb85bc288c90b736af0d43e.jpg59da288648bc0_tokenheroesback2.thumb.jpg.b3e8a8a4465f3012e61df9f5e15d437f.jpg59da2887504d4_tokenheroesback3.thumb.jpg.9e9efe20f5bfb03ac719d44bdb634739.jpg59da28885221b_tokenheroesback4.thumb.jpg.d7ce1a8f60141cbe765656fcd0865236.jpg59da288945e33_tokenheroesback5.thumb.jpg.281416654ae45e5b7fcefa6d10cdc663.jpg

Does it mean that some of the tokens would be filled with heroes pictures and traps ?

Just now, Xaltotun said:

In my opinion there are 2 options:

1) pre-determinated damages for each trap --> in this case we can add them directly to the tokens;

2) Determinate the damages by rolling dice (from no damages to death) --> in this case we can decide different kind of damages for each kind of trap, or different ways to determinate damages, depending on the trap.

I enjoy to roll dices ! :sorcerer:

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure if the front side of the traps is same as items. I don't think: so it means that 2 tokens could be put in some areas. Right?
I guess this was the only one pending, so here's the front side of the items tokens: I decided for a panoply with all the weapons. I prefer the second one.

Do you like it? Is it ok for you?

Items token 1.jpgItems token 2.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

I'm not quite sure if the front side of the traps is same as items. I don't think: so it means that 2 tokens could be put in some areas. Right?
I guess this was the only one pending, so here's the front side of the items tokens: I decided for a panoply with all the weapons. I prefer the second one.

That token is very nice but I'm notr sure it fits the theme, looks like an coat of arms of some short and not very "barbaric"  in my opinion.

Besides, these three categories of tokens will have the same face-up (the point of this is that heroes will know which one is what, but the OL will not):

- Equipment

- Traps

- Decoy

And that face-up would be the monolith with the skeleton, as it generic enough (if you like it, of course).

Tokens belonging to all these three categories will put in place by the heroes before the start of the game, and the OL will only see tokens with same face-up.

- When an OL unit enter a zone with a token, the token is flipped.

- If it's a decoy, it's removed from the game.

- If it's a trap, it comes into effect and it's removed from the game.

- If it's equipment, it remains flipped and only the heroes can interact with it.

-When a hero enters a zone with a token (heroes can check what the tokens  are any time during the game):

- He can chose to take it if it's equipment.

- It remains facing down in any other case (equipment they he doesn't want to pick up yet, trap or decoy).

• Like 1

Ok: it wasn't so clear to me. It's almost like I purposed it once.

Yes, the monolith/ skeleton token is ok for me.

Anyway I made the Panoply with the weapons used in the scenario (apart the 2 swords)... I think it's on theme: Howard's world is a civilized world (ok some exceptions) where the barbarian moves. If I'm not wrong panoplies were used in ancient cultures, both classical and germanic, for ex. after the battles, made with weapons of the defeated enemies, like some kind of trophy... 

Obviously mine is a fantasy composition...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

Anyway I made the Panoply with the weapons used in the scenario (apart the 2 swords)... I think it's on theme: Howard's world is a civilized world (ok some exceptions) where the barbarian moves. If I'm not wrong panoplies were used in ancient cultures, both classical and germanic, for ex. after the battles, made with weapons of the defeated enemies, like some kind of trophy... 

Obviously mine is a fantasy composition...

Absolutely right! It's only that in the Battle of Mounds everything is pretty crude and that panoply seems a bit sophisticated for that scenario from my point of view. But of course, it would fit  nicely in a more civilizated Hyborian kingdom such Aquilonia.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

This is terrific ! You have a gift for this !!!! :dwarf:

• Thanks 1

@Arthadan, @Xaltotun, I have just read all the discussion about the panoply !

To my opinion, I find the token very very  beautiful !!!!:dwarf::dwarf::dwarf::dwarf::dwarf::dwarf::dwarf::dwarf:

It is true that it does not look like a Barbarian style but Conan even if he is a Barbarian has changed a lot since he leaved his mountains and arrives to the mounds !

He was formed by the best  art of war masters in Khitai (they did not clearly indicate the country in the movie but they spoke about the east and this is an Asian that trained him), he read a lot of philosophy scrolls...and one day he will finished king of Aquilonia ! I think Conan knows the power of the Panoply symbol to have seen them on the wall of his sword masters and at the Osric court!

Moreover, Battle of the Mounds is a specific encounter! A big battle where ancient civilized world of warriors (armors & weapons of the deads) clashs an other ancient civilized dark world (Thulsa doom and his forbidden & forgotten sorcery). Three men helped by ancient big warriors (and maybe gods: Valeria that comes back) are fighting against the evil (a snake).

I'm not disturbed by the fact there is a panoply! Conan is looked like more a warrior than a barbarian in the battle of the Mounds: he has an armor, a shield & a helm.

For me it is a good and acceptable token ! but I prefer the double circle token!

After we can create other models of token and the players could choose the ones they want and that best correspond to their own vision of the battle atmosphere.

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Florentin said:

After we can create other models of token and the players could choose the ones they want and that best correspond to their own vision of the battle atmosphere.

I'm not sure about this because these two reasons:

- When we explain what the token does in the scenario rules, you need to include the image of the token itself with the explanation. It would be a bit confusing to include two or three posible illustration for the same token.

- People are going to be overwhelmed with the amount of material we are creating, perhaps it would be better to keep it simple and say "look, this is exactly what you need to print to play" instead of "chose the token variant you want to print ".

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Florentin said:

I have just read all the discussion about the panoply !

Honestly, I just decided for the panoply for simple reasons:

1) a token for items/weapons was (supposed to be) needed, so how to represent this kind of equipment? The helmet was just a symbol, but it seemed to me that you could have preferred something more iconic; so weapons or an image with confused equipment... or?...

2) so the panoply with the same weapons used in the battle seemed the best solution to represent what the token would have referred to, in a way that could have been half symbolic and half iconic.
That's all. Then I just answered about the panoply just to say that a panoply could have been barbaric too: it's a very ancient use...

By the way, I like very much the other one too, and find it appropriate for token suitable for equipment, traps and decoys; mine would probably be more suitable for weapons/equipement only.

Anyway I still have the image and, in case, it can be used as an ornamental object on the rulebook or as a token elsewhere or, as @Florentin said, personalizing the scenario; but it can be difficult to offer too much material to choose from. Eventually, we could just make an extra file - outside the rules - with some variants.

Now I'll have a break. 'Night guys!

Panoplia.thumb.jpg.605f5a2d27a9ea306e85044ceded91a4.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthadan said:

Besides, these three categories of tokens will have the same face-up (the point of this is that heroes will know which one is what, but the OL will not):

- Equipment

- Traps

- Decoy

And that face-up would be the monolith with the skeleton, as it generic enough (if you like it, of course).

Tokens belonging to all these three categories will put in place by the heroes before the start of the game, and the OL will only see tokens with same face-up.

- When an OL unit enter a zone with a token, the token is flipped.

- If it's a decoy, it's removed from the game.

- If it's a trap, it comes into effect and it's removed from the game.

- If it's equipment, it remains flipped and only the heroes can interact with it.

-When a hero enters a zone with a token (heroes can check what the tokens  are any time during the game):

- He can chose to take it if it's equipment.

- It remains facing down in any other case (equipment they he doesn't want to pick up yet, trap or decoy).

Ok I understand and I'm agree with this !

And what about the use of skeletons to block some passages and bother the arrival of the Thulsa doom riders ?

Heroes could place the skeletons where they want.

And maybe below certain skeletons tokens or miniatures we could have the panoply token for equipment or decoy & trap ?