Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

26 minutes ago, Florentin said:

You are right ! I think I'm going to add spikes on the hill to avoid confusion on walkable areas(between "chevaux de frise" & already fit spikes).

But I still think that on foot character could walk across the spikes but that would cost extra cost (1 gem).

I agree to you about walking on foot... how could subotai and mako have run to the top of the mound to protect Yasmina, if not?

I think that there's no need of much spikes more; I'd separate spikes in the blue marked areas, bordering them in white: 

IMG_20171104_123002.thumb.jpg.2855470ee8be4cb3bce2c4e8ca1c972e.jpg

If we say

Pallisades: nobody can pass through them, if a Mounted miniature suffers damage in an area adyacent to a pallisade, the rider may fall on it.

Players could think that

1) they cant pass through these areas, though they could,

2) these area are not properly adiacent to palisades, they cointain it, and this could eventually generate confusion.

That's why my idea is to separate spikes and palisade like they are a barrier, with their own white borders (or yellow?... but not a lemon one), following a bit thei pointing shapes,so they can be easily recognized as adiacent "palisade special areas", where horsemen/no one (still to decide) can't pass through.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Florentin said:

You are right ! I think I'm going to add spikes on the hill to avoid confusion on walkable areas(between "chevaux de frise" & already fit spikes).

But I still think that on foot character could walk across the spikes but that would cost extra cost (1 gem).

Solution it's easy enough, make the walkable areas too small for a Mounted miniature base. This way only miniatures on foot can cross them.

2 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Solution it's easy enough, make the walkable areas too small for a Mounted miniature base. This way only miniatures on foot can cross them.

Ok, I understood the point. 

But I'm not talking about going on top of the mound, but moving around it along the areas where the palisades are (blue crossed): my idea is just to separate the palisades from the areas around, to prevent from confusion. Consider that some are even macro areas from plane to mound top with palosades in the middle.... 

So, can someone move following the red arrows? There are palisades in the area?... there are, so he can't.... !?

This can be a reasonable doubt, for a player.

That's all.

IMG_20171104_150518.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Xaltotun said:

Ok, I understood the point. 

But I'm not talking about going on top of the mound, but moving around it along the areas where the palisades are (blue crossed): my idea is just to separate the palisades from the areas around, to prevent from confusion. Consider that some are even macro areas from plane to mound top with palosades in the middle.... 

So, can someone move following the red arrows? There are palisades in the area?... there are, so he can't.... !?

This can be a reasonable doubt, for a player.

That's all.

IMG_20171104_150518.jpg

Point taken. Yes, in that case the chevaux de frise and the surrounding stakes can be their own (impassable) area.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Florentin said:

Sorry, I don't understand what you would like. Could you summarize please.

Sure. I'll send you a purpose of modification of few areas of the map tomorrow; I'll do it roughly on the map, so it will be easier to explain. Then if it's ok for you too, and if you have time, you can upgrade our map.

cheers

• Like 1

Ok here's the idea.

This is our map.

I have problems in the following areas:

RED AREAS: 2, 12, 13 and partially 3, 14 and 22.
BLUE AREAS: 30 and 23

1) Areas 2, 12, 13 seem too large, from the plain to the top of the mound and crossing palisades too;

2) We write in the rules that no horsemen (or no-one, still pending) can pass through areas that cointain palisades.... but the areas 2, 12 and 13 contain palisades...

Image1.thumb.jpg.70f47c159d694111450ce0139922e355.jpg

SInce areas 2, 12, 13 contain palisades the following movement should be impossible (blue arrow).

Image1b.thumb.jpg.aa577475ae8e873d3b9688714f3820fa.jpg

It makes no sense. Do you agree with me?

And also in areas 30 and 23 there are palisades/stakes, so is the red arrow movement impossible through 30 and 23? Does it make sense? No, I guess.
Image1c.thumb.jpg.c4263d30232547d541178e61c60bd16e.jpg

************************************************************************************

Now, look at the areas 6 and 35: what's between them? Palisades. So palisades are on the border, like they are particular areas (or a particular "non area"), anyway no horseman is allowed to move from 6 to 35 and there's no doubt about it. Am I wrong?

Image5.thumb.jpg.79293a45af824207d90bec5e84874254.jpg

The idea could be:

1) surround with white lines palisades and stakes in areas 30, 23, 2, 12, 13, and partially 14 and 22, as we did with palisades between 6 and 35.

(Here's my rough attempt in red)

Image2.thumb.jpg.11bafdc46d375cd07f9a6671575169cd.jpg

2) divide areas 2, 12 and 13 (and 3)

3) divide area 35 (there are monoliths between!)

Image3.thumb.jpg.ec5f2cd37ffaa3c117d775293e7f07b1.jpg

( I made some minor changes between areas 23 and 24)

RESULTS:

1) The blue arrow movements are allowed (palisades do not properly belong to those areas), but take care because you are moving beside palisades and spikes! No doubt about this.

2) Areas 4, 5, 6 are exclusive palisade areas: they influence the surrounding areas and no horseman can cross them.

Image6.thumb.jpg.654ff66185c29f8e1749268044d69c9e.jpg

I hope everything is clear. Do you agree with me? Does it make sense to you?

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Thanks 2

I admit I have not read everything in the thread, and I apologize  if this has already been discussed but...

I think I understand that the palisades are meant to control the movement patterns of Doom's soldiers so the heroes can take them out with traps and weapons around the desired route, but what if moving across a palisade was possible with a very heroic Leap. Failure might have disastrous consequences, but it might make for some epic moments in the game if the Overlord took the risk. Or would that break the scenario? Just an idea while looking at Xaltotun's post - which certainly solves the issues without considering my idea, but thought I would share it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Primeval said:

Or maybe just change the wording to say that horsemen may not cross a border that is a palisade, that would allow for movement through the zone but not crossing the actual palisade.

I think that a natural english speaker makes the difference! :w00t:

@Primeval is right and it's better for us to change the wording.

(Ps.can we ask you to correct our rules files eventually, please?)

But, if you don't mind, I'd apply those changes on the map anyway. It's better to keep same graphical solution for same items, and it's true that palisades split areas.

So I'd appy those changes anyway, hoping to prevent player from further doubts and confusion while playing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

I think that a natural english speaker makes the difference! :w00t:

@Primeval is right and it's better for us to change the wording.

(Ps.can we ask you to correct our rules files eventually, please?)

But, if you don't mind, I'd apply those changes on the map anyway. It's better to keep same graphical solution for same items, and it's true that palisades split areas.

So I'd appy those changes anyway, hoping to prevent player from further doubts and confusion while playing.

I'd be happy to help with proofreading and corrections. 

In this case it makes sense to actually say no character can pass a palisade border, unless you want characters on foot to be able to get through somehow, then perhaps they can spend extra movement  to figure a way through?

Anyway, great work guys and I'll help how/if I can!

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Primeval said:

I'd be happy to help with proofreading and corrections. 

In this case it makes sense to actually say no character can pass a palisade border, unless you want characters on foot to be able to get through somehow, then perhaps they can spend extra movement  to figure a way through?

Anyway, great work guys and I'll help how/if I can!

Thanks for your offer, it's most welcome!

I'll send you the Mounted Combat rules (1 page) and text from the Campaign cards (about 3) for proofreading / clarification.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

Look what I've found!

Boris Woloszyn is making a Thorgrim miniature!

23467347_10214228653091437_588098779138800282_o (1).jpg

Boris is doing some amazing work! We talked when he first did the Conan miniature, but its such an exact copy of the original that releasing it would just cause legal troubles. I even contacted CPI (or whatever they are called now, Cabinet?) to discuss licensing for him but they were not interested, they said they already had a miniatures company (which is technically true, but Monolith is not producing miniatures for general gaming and sales alone, and certainly not in materials most miniatures painters/collectors want).  Unless Monolith creates a "movie pack" and buys these from Boris, or someone buys them and gives them away as freebies with purchases, I don't think we will see these released.

Having said that, this one could probably be sold under another name. But the Conan and Valeria ones are too exactly copied.

• Like 2

This is the WIP version of the scenario. Comments are welcome!

Fiery flames have consumed Valeria's body on her funeral pyre. Her loss weights heavily on a Cimmerian heart, but there is no time to honor the fallen. Thulsa Doom rides in wrath with all his might into battle, to punish those who have dared to steal from him.

Conan and Subotai lay traps and Akiro fetch them ancient armors and weapons from the barrows, because the lingering spirits of the heroes of old are pleased with the bloodshed to come. Then the barbarian and the thief prepare themselves to face what could very well be their last battle. And for the first time in his life, the Cimmerian prays to his grim god:

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to hell with you! "

WINNING THE GAME

HEROES: The Heroes win if they prevent the Overlord victory conditions to happen or if they kill Thulsa Doom.

OVERLORD: While Thorgrim and Rexor are alive, the Princess must be captured and taken outside the board by the zone with the token with number 2. If Thorgrim and Rexor are both dead, the Princess must be killed.

HEROES

The game starts with the heroes' turn. The heroes start in the areas indicated by the setup diagram.

Suggestions for 2 heroes:

* Conan (Atlantean Sword, Horned Helmet, Old Armor).

* Subotai (Hyrkanian Sword, Hyrkanian Bow, Old Armor).

* Akiro (ally with the spell Favor of the Gods). When activated, Akiro can move and attack or move and cast the spell. For this scenario, Conan and Subotai count as having the Leadership skill to activate Akiro.

After setup, the Heroes do not move any gems from their Reserve zone to their Fatigue zone. Moreover, Conan recovers gem as if one hero has died because he is seeking revenge for Valeria’s death.

OVERLORD

The Overlord starts with 10 gems in their Reserve zone and 2 in their Fatigue zone, and places the recovery token showing a recovery value of “5” in the Book of Skelos.

Event card effects:

Reinforcement: (Until the end of Overlord turn 5) 4 reinforcement points.

Spell of Doom: (From Overlord turn 6 until the end of the game) Thulsa Doom can cast his spell Set’s Arrow if he is still alive. He does not need to be activated, but the spell cost must be paid. This is the only way this spell can be used in this scenario.

Charge: The Overlord chooses a tile that has not been activated this turn. All miniatures in that tile get one free movement action (with the all the movement points indicated in the tile).

Battle orders: (only if the Standard of Set is in game). The Overlord may change the order of 2 tiles in the River.

SPECIAL RULES

Note: This scenario makes use of the Mounted Combat and Ranged Attacks Optional Rules.

AMBUSH AMONG THE STANDING STONES

If the last action a hero performs is a movement ending within the monolith field, adjacent to two monoliths:

- The miniature is taken out of the board and replaced by two hero movement tokens showing an interrogation mark.

- The hero player gets to move both tokens within the monolith fields ending their movement in an area adjacent to two monoliths, spending the same amount of movement points for each token and placing them with the side with the interrogation mark facing up.

- The player choses secretly which one is the real hero (token with the hero face) and which one is a decoy (token with the red 'X').

- In the Overlord turn, when an enemy unit enters an area with a hero token, the token is removed (if it was the decoy) or replaced with the hero miniature (if it was the hero).

ARROWS

Subotai is so overloaded with his heavy armour that he has decided to place some arrows in strategic points instead of carrying them with him.

- He has a limited numbers of arrows for his bow in this scenario, making use of the Projectiles Track sheet to keep record of the number.

- Any arrow token taken by him will increase the arrow number by 5 (arrow tokens are placed by the heroes, along with some more items, see the following special rule, "the dead will help us").

HE WILL COME FOR ME

Thulsa Doom himself will enter the battle in the next Overlord turn after Thorgrim and Rexor are both dead or after turn 6, whatever happens first. Place his tile at the end of the River and his miniature in the zone with the token with the number 1.

Thulsa Doom will not enter the battle alone, a Black Guard from the green Black Guard tile will enter the battle with him (flip the tile if it is facing down). This warrior bears the Standard of Set. Place the Standard of Set token near this miniature. It will move along this miniature and it is removed from the game if this miniature dies. It is needed for the Event card effect “Battle Orders”.

SPELL OF DOOM

The only way Thulsa Doom can use his spell Set’s Arrow is described in the Event card effects.

THE DEAD WILL HELP US

The heroes have the opportunity to prepare the battlefield to their advantage. They will lay traps, hide weapons and other items and place decoys. Before the start of the game, they will place the item/trap/decoy tokens in any of the designated areas (maximum one token per area). The tokens will be placed with the monolith face facing up, but the heroes can secretly look at the other side at any time during the game.

- When a hero enters an area containing a token, he can look it up secretly. If the token is an item, he can pick it up with a simple manipulation action. In this case remove the token and the hero receives the Equipment card, in any other case (trap or decoy token or item the hero does not pick up) the token remains unflipped.

- The first time an Overlord character enters an area containing a token, flip it (it remains flipped for the rest of the game). If is a decoy, remove the token with no further consequences, if is a trap the unit will suffer the effects of the trap detailed in the Campaign Card corresponding to the trap type (pit trap or spike trap) and if it is an object the token remains flipped with no further effect (the Overlord units cannot pick items up).

WARRIORS OF OLD

Skeletons placed on the map as per the set-up map are the unanimated remains of warriors dead long ago. Their only effect in the game is to count for the exertion limit of the area where they are placed.

YASMINA

Princess Yasmina can be captured cutting the ropes that tie her (this count as a melee attack). Then, picking her up costs 2 movement points for any Overlord unit. Any unit carrying Yasmina will have its movement points reduced by 2. If the unit carrying Yasmina dies, she will be dropped on the floor and remains there.

Yasmina uses the Princess tile to represent her in this scenario if she is attacked. She has 4 life points. Yasmina has :ss_protection: (Protected )for this scenario, as the Heroes are bound to thwart Thulsa Doom's will.

Edited by Arthadan
Yasmina gets Protected skill.
  • Like 4

As a WIP I like this a lot.  

Victory & Defeat Conditions look Solid to me, and I don't believe they need modifying.  

Some of the Special Rules appear to fit the 'Expert Mode', that was raised a while back, namely the limit to Arrows that Subotai can fire.  

The Intro for this Scenario I particularly like.  :smile:

• Like 1

Great & amazing work @Arthadan !!!

You begin to give the final touch to our dream with this rules syntesis proposal!

This is an important day! 

Thank you very much for this!

I have only one remark at present about OL conditions Victory: when Yasmina has her ropes cut maybe it would be great to indicate a specific area to leave the map, for the guards with her? Maybe behind the Valeria's Altar ?

What are you thinking about this? 

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Florentin said:

Great & amazing work @Arthadan !!!

You begin to give the final touch to our dream with this rules syntesis proposal!

This is an important day! 

Thank you very much for this!

I have only one remark at present about OL conditions Victory: when Yasmina has her ropes cut maybe it would be great to indicate a specific area to leave the map, for the guards with her? Maybe behind the Valeria's Altar ?

What are you thinking about this? 

Great idea! I'll add that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vincent255 said:

As a WIP I like this a lot.  

Victory & Defeat Conditions look Solid to me, and I don't believe they need modifying.  

Some of the Special Rules appear to fit the 'Expert Mode', that was raised a while back, namely the limit to Arrows that Subotai can fire.  

The Intro for this Scenario I particularly like.  :smile:

We have limited arrows because our board is bigger than the official and projectiles are a bit overpowered in this case. That and to be true to the movie.

Glad you like the intro! It was specially challenging since English is not my native language.

• Like 1