Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

10 hours ago, Xaltotun said:

An idea about mounted/dismounted figures: since the prohibition of dismounting for Doom's units doesn't seem to sound so good to me, what do you think if all the dismounted figures cannot be recalled by the Overlord, once eliminated? 

This should pull the Overlord to choose his personal strategy...

Sorry but I'm not certain to well understand the meaning of this, is there not a mistake ?

Didn't you want to say :

<<

An idea about mounted/dismounted figures: since the prohibition of dismounting for Doom's units doesn't seem to sound so good to me, what do you think if all the dismounted figures could be recalled by the Overlord, once eliminated? 

>>

If so yes I'm agree with you !

Because I'I am clearly frustrated that I can not dismount the riders if I want even if in the movie that didn't occur !

But I can understand why such limitation was proposed maybe to avoid too complex management or maybe to balance the scenario.

So, maybe we should consider that:

-  at round 2 or 3, the OL could do this if we don't want to authorize this possibility too early ?

- or, that OL couldn't do this while all his (living) riders have reach once the other side of the map ?

or ...

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, Arthadan said:

Our aim is to offer a free fan-made campaign based on the film Conan the Barbarian, including hero sheets, equipment cards, spells, enemy tiles, maps and any other material we deem necessary. However we are focusing on creating a single scenario first and take it from there.

As a fan project with no profits whatsoever involved, I understand it is fair use of the images. I will include a disclamer in the file with the hero sheets when I have all them ready and zipped for download.

@Arthadan  don't forget to do this for all the tiles and tokens that were realized & a specific mention for other elements that are directly taken from the movie because copyright.

Edited by Florentin

2 hours ago, Florentin said:

@Arthadan could you send me please the pictures of characters (you used for tiles) as you proposed me ?

Could you put in the download section,  the summary of the rules of the basic scenario if you have it already done as I understood ?

Thank you !

All characters pictures are in the paper stand-ups, I think. Feel free to use them.

Regarding the draft version of the scenario, I'm working on it. Not ready yet, sorry.

5 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

All characters pictures are in the paper stand-ups, I think. Feel free to use them.

Regarding the draft version of the scenario, I'm working on it. Not ready yet, sorry.

I'm sorry @Arthadan but they are too small to be used.

I think you should have them at less at tiles Size ?

Tiles would be good but as there are dices and skills over the pictures it is not very easy to use them.

Do you see what I mean ?

Edited by Florentin

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, Arthadan said:

I'll make a first version of the document (I've compiled all the rules I suggested)

@Arthadan , at present, I do not need the last version or the document only the compiled rules you already have !

It will be easier to share the same point of view !

Edited by Florentin

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:55 PM, Xaltotun said:

I thought that we could put the token with the 5 arrows faced down on the map (the OL haven't to know which weapon is there), like the other tokens of weapons, and we could have an arrow counter, or, if preferred we can print 15 single arrows token to provide Subotai of.

I'll put anyway 15 tokens of single arrows on the pdf, in case they could be useful in future...

@Xaltotun I do not see the 15 tokens of single arrows on the pdf. It is a pity because it would interesting to place these tokens on the map.

Did you prefer to not consider this option ? Or did you forget to put them ?

Since the beginning of the afternoon, I'm reading all the pages of the post dedicated to "Conan the Barbarian" to understand all the rules of the scenario.

Note: I have the feeling that the trample icon is useless because all the mounted horses & mounts have this skill by default it could be included in the rules, thus that would save a space to put an other skill icon ?

I have just finished the job to compile most of the discussions through a mind mapping !

My conclusion is that the job that was realized for this scenario is very impressive ! :dwarf:

Great job guys !!!

:dwarf::paladin::wizard:                                                      :orc::orc::orc::orc::orc::vampire:

Look...

mind_mapping.thumb.jpg.37d1b2431ca8e60815f7aeaabee737d7.jpg

xmind.thumb.jpg.8052acdb2634a62eb7ca9bd2bc22e542.jpg

The file was realised in xmind !

If you are adept of this you can read the compilation: I attached the xmind file ! (hope to have not forgotten too much information)

Conan the barbarian's rules.xmind

I did it for me but if it can be helpful to you: use it !

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Florentin said:

Oh Great ! I was afraid   you didn't want to create them !

Thank you very much! :dwarf:

Guys, I think it would be a good idea to make separate tokens for he different versions of the scenario, because otherwise it will be very confusing for players!

Single arrow token won't be use in the normal version of the scenario. 

@Florentin when you have a more developped version of the advance version, we can make a new token sheet with all the tokens you need, so people can download all of them at once.

I think that's the best option thinking about potential players.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1

Let's cut to the chase!!

OPTIONAL RULES

Regarding the scenario rules compilation, I want to make a word document detailing for each special rule which token is used and what zones are of the maps are relevant (so anybody outside this development can easily understand them). This is just the plain text  for your consideration:

AMBUSH AMONG THE STANDING STONES

If the last action a hero performs is a movement ending within the monolith field:

- The miniature is taken out of the board and replaced by two hero movement tokens showing an interrogation mark.

- The hero player gets to move both counters within the monolith fields spending the same amounth of movement points, placing them with the side with the interrogation mark facing up.

- The player choses secretly which one is the real hero (token with the hero face) and which one is a decoy (token with the red 'X').

- In the OL turn, when an enemy unit enters an area with a hero token, the token is removed (if it was the decoy) or replaced with the hero miniature (if it was the hero).

ARROWS
Subotai is so overloaded with his heavy armour that the has decided to place some arrows in strategic points instead of carrying them with him.

- He has a limited numbers of arrows for his bowin this scenario, making use of the Proyectile Track sheet to keep record of the number.

- Any arrow token taken by a character with a bow will increase the arrow number by 5 (arrow tokens are placed by the heroes, along with some more items, see the following special rule, "the dead will help us"). 

THE DEAD WILL HELP US

The heroes have the opportunity to prepare the battlefiled to their advantage. They will lay traps, hide weapons and other items and place decoys. Before the start of the game, they will place the item/trap/decoy tokens in any of the designated areas (maximum one token per area). The tokens will be placed with the monolith face facing up, but the heroes can secretely look at the other side at any time during the game.

- When a hero enters an area containing a token, he can look it up secretly. If the token is an item, he can pick it up with a simple manipulation action. In this case remove the token and the hero receives the appropiate Equipment card, in any other case (trap or decoy token or item the hero does not pick up) the token remains unflipped.

- The first time an Overlord character enters an area containing a token, flip it (it remains flipped for the rest of the game). If is a decoy, remove the token with no further consequences, if is a trap the unit will suffer the effects of the trap detailed in the Campaign Card corresponding to the trap type (pit trap or spike trap) and if it is an object the token remains flipped with no further effect (the Overlord units cannot pick items up).

WARRIORS OF OLD

Skeletons placed on the map as per the set-up map are the inanimated remains of warriors dead long ago. Their only effect in game is to count for the exertion limit of the area where they are placed.

I also have some rough ideas about the use of the event card (crow), but I haven't have time to write them down yet.

EDITED: ARROWS special rule added.

Edited by Arthadan
ARROWS special rule added.
  • Thanks 2

On 21/10/2017 at 11:31 AM, Florentin said:

Sorry but I'm not certain to well understand the meaning of this, is there not a mistake ?

Didn't you want to say :

<<

An idea about mounted/dismounted figures: since the prohibition of dismounting for Doom's units doesn't seem to sound so good to me, what do you think if all the dismounted figures could be recalled by the Overlord, once eliminated? 

>>

If so yes I'm agree with you !

Because I'I am clearly frustrated that I can not dismount the riders if I want even if in the movie that didn't occur !

But I can understand why such limitation was proposed maybe to avoid too complex management or maybe to balance the scenario.

So, maybe we should consider that:

-  at round 2 or 3, the OL could do this if we don't want to authorize this possibility too early ?

- or, that OL couldn't do this while all his (living) riders have reach once the other side of the map ?

or ...

There's no sense, in my opinion, that a warrior can't dismount, but, as you said, it's also a matter of balancing the scenario.

But, if the prohibition doesn't make sense, we can introduce a small rule to help the OL to consider his strategy...

In the standard game, the OL can sacrifice some gems to 'relive' (can't remember the exact word used in the rules) some dead units per turn; so, here's the small rull: mounted units killed can eventually be reused bythe OL, paying the amount of gems requested; a dismounted/dishorsed unit is definitely eliminated after being killed.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

There's no sense, in my opinion, that a warrior can't dismount, but, as you said, it's also a matter of balancing the scenario.

But, if the prohibition doesn't make sense, we can introduce a small rule to help the OL to consider his strategy...

In the standard game, the OL can sacrifice some gems to 'relive' (can't remember the exact word used in the rules) some dead units per turn; so, here's the small rull: mounted units killed can eventually be reused bythe OL, paying the amount of gems requested; a dismounted/dishorsed unit is definitely eliminated after being killed.

Whole point of not allowing OL units to be dismounted (just Liutenants) it was because it will seldom happens in game. 

They will be Dismounted if and only if they suffer exactly 1 wound (if they suffer 2 or more they will be killed right away).

So, is it worth it to add complexity to the scenario to cover a situation that will happen only under very special conditions?

Besides, in the movie they do not dismount...

Edited by Arthadan

2 hours ago, Xaltotun said:

But, if the prohibition doesn't make sens, we can introduce a small rule to help the OL to consider his strategy...

That sounds good for me !

Nevertheless, I understand what @Arthadan is saying and think in fact that could disturb the basic scenario realization.

But as I would like to create this rule like you @Xaltotun, I propose to move this rule in the first extended rules pack that will be deliver with the Basic scenario rules!

Thus the both rules could be tested with the scenario before Xmas !

However, the only difficulty it is that we have to work on some additional tiles to make it works ! I'm going to work on them but that will be complex because neither the Dooms riders, the black guards nor the fangs of doom dismount during the fight ! At present, we have only the Fangs on foot tile !

Is it ok for you guys ?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Florentin said:

That sounds good for me !

Nevertheless, I understand what @Arthadan is saying and think in fact that could disturb the basic scenario realization.

But as I would like to create this rule like you @Xaltotun, I propose to move this rule in the first extended rules pack that will be deliver with the Basic scenario rules!

Thus the both rules could be tested with the scenario before Xmas !

However, the only difficulty it is that we have to work on some additional tiles to make it works ! I'm going to work on them but that will be complex because neither the Dooms riders, the black guards nor the fangs of doom dismount during the fight ! At present, we have only the Fangs on foot tile !

Is it ok for you guys ?

It is for me.