Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

SKELETONS

To keep things simple, skellies will be placed in the set up map (heroes don't move them around in the movie). Their only effect in game would be to occupy some space in the area they stand, counting for its exertion limit.

I think they shouldn't block, because a skeleton is easy to move apart and we don't see that in the film.

MONOLITH FIELD

Regarding zone division inside the monolith field, we've agreed to make corridors (wide enough for horses) and stone rows (zones too small for horses).

Problem comes if the heroes decide to stay in the stone rows, because since mounted miniatures don't have the reach skill, nobody can attack them (only OL Liutenants choosing to dismount). At the same time, Subotai could attack them if adyacent with his spear. This would led to a scenario that the OL can never win because he need to kill the heroes to win (as long as Thorgrim and Rexor are alive).

posible solutions:

- monolith zones are so small that they can be attacked from (and attack to) adyacent corridor areas.

- Or giving some riders the reach skill.

Thoughts?

Maybe there is an easier solution, not requiring any special rules.

If the monoliths zones have the size of one infantry base (or more exactly, they are big enough for one infantry base but too small for two), when a single miniature enters the zone, it reaches its exertion limit. Then, as described in the rulebook, that zone can be attacked from the adyacent ones.

8 hours ago, Florentin said:

@Arthadan what are these characters ? I don't remember to have seen them in the movie ?

He is one of Thulsa Doom riders. Unlike the Fangs, these guys wear different armors and helmets. It's screen capture from the film, I just added the sword.

I've just realised I've forgotten to add the reinforcement cost, I'll do it later.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

He is one of Thulsa Doom riders. Unlike the Fangs, these guys wear different armors and helmets. It's screen capture from the film, I just added the sword.

I've just realised I've forgotten to add the reinforcement cost, I'll do it later.

Really ?!!! So this is perfect !

How much are they ?

30 minutes ago, Florentin said:

@Arthadan are you talking of the guards type that bring the standard? If so why to chose à picture without their symbolic dark metal helm  (with or without hornes) ?

Problem is that is hard to find a good image with the whole horse. They are usually moving fast, so they're blurry in screen captures.

@Xaltotun  sent me one, but result would be even worse than this one, because the rider is farther away from the camera.

• Like 1

Hi guys! 

I'm back to life after a couple of days of deadly hard working. I'm really exhausted!

About monolith rows I think it's better to try to divide the map first, since this is mostly a matter of areas.

Anyway, I think we could also add some (other) special rule for e scenario: I like this game because basic rules are simple, but almost every scenario has his own special rules; that's more true for extensions.

Yes we have new rules for mounted troops, but this more a new game system than a pack of rules for a single scenario. So I think we could have definitely no problem in introducing some special area rules expecially for this scenario.

@Arthadan I'll check the movie and send you the exact amount of doom riders.

In my past posts in this tread you can find all the best images I could capture for riders.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/9/2017 at 7:44 AM, Xaltotun said:

Here's a first rider from the final battle...

@Arthadan

What do you think of :jaune: or :jaune::jaune: for Akiro?

PS: this is one of the servants carrying the big pot in the famous scene

Image9b.thumb.jpg.9dbbba6237ffc48d64345114ccc4e078.jpgImage9.jpg

On 23/9/2017 at 8:38 AM, Xaltotun said:

Second Rider of Doom

(2 versions)
There something to rearrange about the hoofs

Image17.thumb.jpg.64b29d33954dad1adf3d62d0b7964a14.jpgImage18b.jpg

Image16.jpg

Image18.jpg

On 23/9/2017 at 8:56 AM, Xaltotun said:

Third one

(please check the tail and the spear)

Image19b.thumb.jpg.dbd6206aa115585ba6235a0e08b179c5.jpg

Image19.jpg

On 23/9/2017 at 10:05 AM, Xaltotun said:

Other pictures....

Image12.jpg

Image11.jpg

Image14.jpg

Image13.jpg

Image6.jpg

Image8.jpg

On 23/9/2017 at 11:39 AM, Xaltotun said:

and here are other pics

Image20.jpg

Image21.jpg

Image22.jpg

Image40.jpg

Image41.jpg

Pages 6 and 7.

I think ink they are around 15: 5 fangs and probably 10 or less of the others, but I check exactly later

I suggest this name: Riders of Doom

it recalls the soundtrack

The idea could be 1 tile for Fangs and 2 for riders of doom...

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Thanks 2

Hallo! Here's the first amount...

Image1.thumb.jpg.224eee3fd36af404486d53541e0dd73f.jpg

See the picture below for the 5th rounded helmet (blue); I marked again 2 Fangs (red 4 & 6) just to help you recognize the: mind that between the 2 scenes there's a bit sliding of riders on the right sides.

Image2.thumb.jpg.e046b78246694620b3f16f84d32226ff.jpg

I can try to verify my numbers counting (and recognizing) the dead along the battle sequence... accepting there's no cut scene.

DOOM

REXOR
THORGRIM
1 Standard Bearer
1 Horned Helmet
6 Fangs of Set

5 Rounded Helmet

There's probably other horned helmets...

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 2

I'm trying to count the dead, but unfortunately I found what I expected to:

4 horned riders (in order of appearance):

Image7.thumb.jpg.5a30f74218ae033b76e21394ca02a783.jpgImage10.thumb.jpg.3ce5cb572be197d8ce89016ad7bd7e08.jpg

and some incongruence...

Image13.thumb.jpg.d1c9e83185ffcb43063e5137ac010710.jpgImage11.thumb.jpg.6c9c126641e67c7188508f3f98fdce98.jpg

and here's finally the one marked as "1" in the previous post...

Image15.thumb.jpg.f2895b73cc8b083c9fd53c1f9e233637.jpg

TOTAL: 3... or 4?

And as I told you, the standard bearer on his last appearance, galloping behind Throgrim.

Image21.thumb.jpg.d5bd55504f82a453b09abd8bad7cb55d.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

CROM COUNTS THE DEAD

TOTAL:

1 Standard Bearer (disappeared)
6 Fangs of Set

3/4 Riders of Doom (horned helmet)
9 Riders of Doom (rounded helmet)

KILLING CHART

Conan - 8 killing (3 Fangs, 3 Horned, 2 Rounded) + Rexor

Subotai - 9 killing (3 Fangs, 6 Rounded)

Akiro - 1 killing (Rounded)

• Like 2

So I hope you'd like one of my proposes:

1 Group of 5 Fangs of Set ---> 1 tile

1 Group of 5 Riders of Doom (horned) --> 1 tile

2 Group of 4 Riders of Doom (rounded) --> 2 tiles (different coloured frames)

Tot. 18 Riders

or

1 Group of 5 Fangs of Set --> 1 tile

1 Group of 5 Riders of Doom (rounded head) --> 1 tile

Tot. 15 Riders

Maybe only tests could resolve.

I'd use the name RIDERS OF DOOM for both horned and rounded, but - if possible - I'd choose different images for the tile and maybe different dice values.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

So I hope you'd like one of my proposes:

1 Group of 5 Fangs of Set ---> 1 tile

2 Group of 4 Riders of Doom (rounded) --> 2 tiles (different coloured frames)

Tot. 18 Riders

or

1 Group of 5 Fangs of Set --> 1 tile

1 Group of 5 Riders of Doom (rounded head) --> 1 tile

Tot. 15 Riders

Maybe only tests could resolve.

I'd use the name RIDERS OF DOOM for both horned and rounded, but - if possible - I'd choose different images for the tile and maybe different dice values.

Amazing job counting the units!

I'd make smaller units, probably about 3 units per tile the Riders and only 2 units the Fangs. We will reach the total number thanks to the Reinforcement points. 

About names, since the Horned helmet and the standard appears only mounted, they can be called Riders of Doom. But the others (current Temple Guards) appears also on foot in the Mountain of Power, they need a name that works for both versions, mounted and dismounted.

Also, since some of the riders have spears, I plan to make variants of Fangs and Guards with the :allonge: skill.

So I proppose:

Horned helmets -> Riders of Doom

Round helmets (current Temple Guards)  -> Open to suggestions (name must work for Mounted and Dismounted tile).

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 2

Also, I have a first draft for the intro text of the scenario:

Fiery flames have consumed Valeria's body on her funeral pyre. Her loss weights heavily on a Cimmerian heart, but there is no time to honor the fallen. Thulsa Doom rides in wrath with all his might into battle, to punish those who have dared to steal from him.

Conan and Subotai lay traps and Akiro fetch them ancient armors and weapons from the barrows, because the lingering spirits of the  heroes of old are pleased with the bloodshed to come. Then the barbarian and the thief prepare themselves to face what could very well be their last battle. And for the first time in his life, the Cimmerian prays to his grim god:

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to hell with you! "

Comments?

• Like 3