Community Generated Campaign

Matt John S

1 hour ago, drmauric said:

Great point. Noted. I can see how this could be limiting for other writers.

I really like the idea of running from instead of hack and slash, though, and then facing that big boss at the end. If it’s not the Witch Hunters (sorry, Dan!) then is there a tile we can be encouraged (but not forced) to use as a thread throughout the adventures? Something that they may not want to face straight away but might later?

I’m a fan of Stygian Assassins as a thread but they’re not terrifying. Depends on which narrative route we want to take with this.

Edited by Neil Amswych
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

I really like the idea of running from instead of hack and slash, though, and then facing that big boss at the end. If it’s not the Witch Hunters (sorry, Dan!) then is there a tile we can be encouraged (but not forced) to use as a thread throughout the adventures? Something that they may not want to face straight away but might later?

I’m a fan of Stygian Assassins as a thread but they’re not terrifying. Depends on which narrative route we want to take with this.

Thematically, a demon might fill this role better. 

Alright... I'm going to be that guy...

I've read and acknowledge and appreciate and understand everything that's been said about the Witch Hunters. I see how in the previous suggestions and ideas it wasn't going to work.

Here is a new direction for consideration. I think someone may have kind of said this. But maybe using a different single hunter through out a couple different scenarios and spread them out through the campaign.  Just to keep an ominous presence going.

Not trying to force the issue. Just putting an idea out there.

4 minutes ago, Ken said:

Thematically, a demon might fill this role better. 

Hadrathus’ magic has allowed him to divine an evil plan by Thoth Amon. But the same magic accidentally summoned a vile and powerful protective demon that Hadrathus knows he is not powerful enough to defeat, a demon that Thoth Amon himself has summoned to protect anyone who gets close to the plan.

Hadrathus knows that he has to stop Thoth Amon no matter what, and that to do so he will have to not only stop the vile wizard but also the protective demon that is going to try to stop him at every turn. I LOVE it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

Combining this with Ken's idea of a demon filling this role is interesting.  (I'm not as hung up on the Witch Hunters as it may seem, more hung up on the idea of using everything available at retail)

Edited by drmauric

7 minutes ago, drmauric said:

Alright... I'm going to be that guy...

I've read and acknowledge and appreciate and understand everything that's been said about the Witch Hunters. I see how in the previous suggestions and ideas it wasn't going to work.

Here is a new direction for consideration. I think someone may have kind of said this. But maybe using a different single hunter through out a couple different scenarios and spread them out through the campaign.  Just to keep an ominous presence going.

Not trying to force the issue. Just putting an idea out there.

It’s totally okay to be that guy. I was that guy for years when we playtested X-Wing. But I think the suggestion of a terrifying demon is far better, and from what I’ve read so far seems to better match the original texts’ fear of the supernatural and dark forces.

Edited by Neil Amswych
  • Like 1

My thoughts on these:

Shevatas should he allowed only because as Ken said, he might be necessary. May not need to refer to him other than his name under hero suggestions. This isn't a big deal. Offer a sub if you want. 

As for the reoccurring bad, Thoth Amon's ring has a demon that it can summon and it's very much like the Dark Demon. So that SHOULD be included. Also, Thoth IS kind of the looming threat. His tile doesn't need to show up in the scenarios but his presence should be felt in most. 

Dan I like the idea of one bad add personality showing up in a few of the scenarios, one of those Witch Hunters perhaps. 

• Like 2

I would add that the Dark Demon's tile is brutal to begin with. And you can always make him worse by adding in a special rule that says "anytime it suffers damage, yoy may role one free red die and add the result to its armor as well as any other 're rolls you'd like to spend gems for " 

Brutal! 

• Like 2

Honored to be part of the group - I will more closely read the thread after work but it looks like this will be a stupendous project. Perfect timing for me as the creative juices are flowing, was just working on a scenario's special rules last night - always fun to do that part and create!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Primeval said:

Honored to be part of the group - I will more closely read the thread after work but it looks like this will be a stupendous project. Perfect timing for me as the creative juices are flowing, was just working on a scenario's special rules last night - always fun to do that part and create!

Thrilled to have you aboard, sir. I believe Dan and Neil are doing something with Khitai and Ken is tackling stygia. I'll do something with Nordhiem. You're probably good to exploit anything other than Khitai I'd say, including base box stuff. Just let us know what you're thinking 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt John S said:

Thrilled to have you aboard, sir. I believe Dan and Neil are doing something with Khitai and Ken is tackling stygia. I'll do something with Nordhiem. You're probably good to exploit anything other than Khitai I'd say, including base box stuff. Just let us know what you're thinking 

Starting to work my way through the thread now, lots of good ideas. I can do one of the middle scenarios, using the core and king pledges. As you seem to recall, I had more than enough of Khitai during my 3 years in Age of Conan :)

Input to come - you guys have been busy!

• Like 1

Next question. How many heroes? This might be an easier campaign if it's two or three heroes instead of four, especially with the slightly limited pool of heroes. Also, with fewer players, it makes it easier for people to be able to gather a group together to play the campaign. So, can we go down to two or three heroes for the campaign?

15 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

Next question. How many heroes? This might be an easier campaign if it's two or three heroes instead of four, especially with the slightly limited pool of heroes. Also, with fewer players, it makes it easier for people to be able to gather a group together to play the campaign. So, can we go down to two or three heroes for the campaign?

We often play 3-4 player scenarios with 1 or 2 players and an Overlord and just play multiple heroes per player - I think its easier to do that and allow for more people to play the scenarios than to limit it to less heroes and therefore less players.

Some other ideas after a very cursory glance through the thread:

I like the idea of a recurring villain and agree the Dark Demon makes a lot of sense as it seems to clearly be the demon summoned by Thoth-Amon in "The Phoenix on the Sword"; so it could be another of  the same ilk. Doesn't mean we can't have others recur as well.

Matt mentioned wanting the threat or idea of Thoth looming in every scenario, which I like - how about some kind of special rule or event even, that is connected to Thoth through one of the Overlord villains. It could be something like Thoth being connected to the Dark Demon through the ritual by which he summoned it, and can somehow reach out through it or effect it in a way to give a bonus or some special effect.  Just a first thought - this would have to be worked out much more.

• Like 2

I should have been painting my Bossonian Guards this evening. Instead, I've come up with a narrative that tries to combine as many of the previous suggestion as possible. It's an 8-game campaign for the players that involves us creating 11 scenarios. Feel free to use, modify or ignore as you wish. Obviously, it needs fleshing out. One thing I would say - I would absolutely love to play this campaign.

Introduction: Hadrathus’ magic has allowed him to divine an evil plan by Thoth Amon. But the same magic accidentally summoned a vile and powerful protective demon that Hadrathus knows he is not powerful enough to defeat, a demon that Thoth Amon himself has summoned to protect anyone who gets close to the plan.

1: Khitai Tower (Dan): Hadrathus knows that he has to stop Thoth Amon no matter what, and that to do so he will have to not only stop the vile wizard but also the protective demon that is going to try to stop him at every turn. But first, he has to get the word to Conan of the evil plot and to do that he has to escape down to the ground level and out before the Dark Demon can catch him.

Question: How is this scenario multiplayer? How do we bring in the other characters immediately? What were they doing in the tower?

2: Khitai Streets (Neil): Same heroes as previous scenario. A merchant in the nearby town is likely to know where Conan can be found. The heroes rush to the town to try to locate such a merchant. But Thoth Amon has used dark magic to contact local individuals who are loyal to him. The heroes have to find the merchant and escape with them before Thoth Amon’s people kill the merchant, or before the Dark Demon arrives.

If the merchant lives go to 3, if not, go to 4 and the heroes cannot bring in Conan in the final scenario:

3. Inn. Hadrathus and friends find Conan at Ye Olde Inn and tells him of the plan. But he’s been followed, and quickly some Stygian Assassins pour into the Inn to kill the heroes before they can do anything else. The heroes must fight their way out. Once they do, Conan pledges to go to Stygia to try to find Thoth Amon, while Hadrathus knows that in order to defeat the Dark Demon, he is going to need some magical help. The two heroes pledge to meet again in Stygia. Continue on 5.

4. The Ships. Hadrathus takes a ship to somewhere he believes Conan may be found. He is wrong, and nearly pays for it with his life as Stygian Assassins and pirates draw a ship up next to his to try to board and kill him. Hack and slash to survive. Continue on 5.

5. Pict Village (Dan). With many of Thoth Amon’s Stygian Assassins dealt with, Hadrathus knows that he has to find an item that can help defeat the Dark Demon that protects Thoth Amon. He knows that the Witch Hunters of Somewhere Mythical have access to said item, and Hadrathus knows he must steal it from them. If successful, after adventures 6 and 7, go to 8, if not after adventures 6 and 7, go to 9.

6. Nordheim (Matt). Part of Thoth Amon’s plan to spread evil is to bring back the Frost Giants from some other realm. Hadrathus knows that he must make haste to Stygia to stop Thoth Amon, so he sends word to his trusted friends (other heroes like Niord and Zelata) to deal with the Frost Giant threat. Success affects the next scenario.

7. (Neil) Skuthus had been magically helping bring the Frost Giants into this plane for his own reason. If Frost Giants were defeated, Skuthus is equipped poorly, if not then he is equipped well. Hadrathus and Skuthus both need the map to Thoth Amon in Stygia, for differing reasons. They work together. Once the map is recovered, though, they realize that they cannot both have it, and so turn on each other and fight for it. If Skuthus gets the map, Thoth Amon is stronger in 10 and 11, if Hadrathus gets the map, Thoth Amon is surprised and is weaker.

8. The item from #5 brings back Yoga of Yag. It’s a big showdown with the Dark Demon. If unsuccessful, go to 10. If successful, go to 11.

9. Without the item from #5, the heroes have to use their wits and send the Dark Demon to another plane. They have to lure it into some kind of portal (are such things in Conan?). But it is not alone. If unsuccessful, go to 10. If successful, go to 11.

10. Ruined Fortress. Thoth Amon has been successful in releasing the evil and has brought the Dark Demon to Tarantia and destroyed it. All the heroes can do now is exact revenge on Thoth Amon amongst the ruins. The heroes have lost the campaign but at least can stop Thoth Amon from spreading any further evil.

11. Stygia Streets (Ken). Hadrathus races to Stygia to stop Shuang Mian, who is arriving by boat, from meeting up with Thoth Amon. Shintu and Ikhmet join. Conan too if the heroes won #2, but someone else if not. If Thoth Amon and Shuang Mian meet and remain together, they finish an evil ritual and win the campaign. If they are stopped, the heroes win.  

Certainly an interesting campaign - lots of expansion and add on material though, will this turn off too many people? Nothing wrong with aiming this at the crowd that has those but just wanted to make sure that is considered.

Having said that, none of these look like scenarios for me to write, as I don't have the expansions or those materials and they are mostly claimed already it seems, so I should probably bow out and cheer you on from afar.

3 minutes ago, Primeval said:

Certainly an interesting campaign - lots of expansion and add on material though, will this turn off too many people? Nothing wrong with aiming this at the crowd that has those but just wanted to make sure that is considered.

Having said that, none of these look like scenarios for me to write, as I don't have the expansions or those materials and they are mostly claimed already it seems, so I should probably bow out and cheer you on from afar.

No no! Don't ever let something I write be something to put you off or make you bow out! This is just a suggestion. And there are loads of these scenarios that haven't been claimed by anyone.

That said, the intention mentioned earlier strongly seemed to be to include the three boxes and other things. I did raise the concern that you just have, though, about excluding people from the campaign by having so many extras.

Definitely lots for @Matt John S to think about in terms of direction.

@Primeval, actually there's loads you could test, even with only minimal proxying. 

3 and 4 could be proxied. 7 (Skuthus as hero) you could do instead of me, and that uses KS stuff. 8 could be proxied. 9 and 10 could easily use Barbarian pledge stuff. So even if Matt approves of this narrative, there's still loads you could contribute.

59 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

No no! Don't ever let something I write be something to put you off or make you bow out! This is just a suggestion. And there are loads of these scenarios that haven't been claimed by anyone.

That said, the intention mentioned earlier strongly seemed to be to include the three boxes and other things. I did raise the concern that you just have, though, about excluding people from the campaign by having so many extras.

Definitely lots for @Matt John S to think about in terms of direction.

After rereading I see the intent is to use the expansions- my bad.  Might also drive interest in purchasing the expansions, which is good for the game. I'll read more thoroughly before I post next.