Community Generated Campaign

Matt John S

I would LOVE to be a Playtester! 

My group regularly plays scenarios, the campaigns, and custom scenarios (our own and others).

I have not read the complete thread (yet), so if there are actions I need to take to be considered, please advise.

Thank you!  Keep up the Fun & Excellent Work!

Gavin Gossett

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gavatar said:

I would LOVE to be a Playtester! 

My group regularly plays scenarios, the campaigns, and custom scenarios (our own and others).

I have not read the complete thread (yet), so if there are actions I need to take to be considered, please advise.

Thank you!  Keep up the Fun & Excellent Work!

Gavin Gossett

Thank you, sir. We will definitely want playtesters. We'll let you know when the time comes. 

So how do we handle death in terms of the narrative of a campaign, especially if we are using pretty much the same heroes for most of it and attaching points or terms to victories and losses. My scenario is going to have a bonus for the Overlord in the final scenario if he wins, and that bonus is thwarted if the heroes win (even of the Overlord wins I have a narrative point to include that will also give a small bonus to Conan in the final scenario) - but if the Overlord wins it will mean the heroes die. Do we simply write death as being overwhelmed or something of  that nature?

As long as its not like the main character in that Age of Conan trilogy about the Aquilonian knight/Black Dragon who gets knocked out every 2 pages :)

12 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

But Skuthus was in the original box. Was he a Stretch Goal?

What about Pelias?

Skuthus is a core box hero, Pelias was a stretch goal though. I would kind of like to use a "not-Taurus" for mine but if we decide to not allow those figures I'll figure something else out.

Edited by Primeval

7 hours ago, Primeval said:

So how do we handle death in terms of the narrative of a campaign, especially if we are using pretty much the same heroes for most of it and attaching points or terms to victories and losses. My scenario is going to have a bonus for the Overlord in the final scenario if he wins, and that bonus is thwarted if the heroes win (even of the Overlord wins I have a narrative point to include that will also give a small bonus to Conan in the final scenario) - but if the Overlord wins it will mean the heroes die. Do we simply write death as being overwhelmed or something of  that nature?

As long as its not like the main character in that Age of Conan trilogy about the Aquilonian knight/Black Dragon who gets knocked out every 2 pages :)

Yes, we'd just have to say they get overwhelmed or barely escape. It's the only way to do something like this. Games like Imperial Assault do this all the time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

If Skuthus is a core box hero, why would someone need to proxy him?

If you don't need to use Skuthus ' hero sheet it's fine, but that sheet comes with the stretch goals in the stretch goal box, I believe. 

We've talked about making some of the scenarios optional. If we did that the optional ones could use whichever components you wish . 

17 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

If you don't need to use Skuthus ' hero sheet it's fine, but that sheet comes with the stretch goals in the stretch goal box, I believe. 

We've talked about making some of the scenarios optional. If we did that the optional ones could use whichever components you wish . 

Are you sure? The Kickstarter shows Skuthus as one of the 4 basic leaders in the core box.  In looking to make sure I see for sure also Taurus was a stretch goal, so need to rethink my scenario a bit but the main idea should still work and fit into the storyline of Yag being involved.

EDIT: Nevermind - I see what you mean about the hero sheet; my bad!

Edited by Primeval
  • Like 1

This link shows images of all the content. The link I posted previously does a good job of breaking all the components down into what comes from where. It even lists where the Spell Cards and Equipment cards come from, which I found very useful.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan/description

EDIT: Here's the one I posted previously. This guy made a spreadsheet.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1656608/full-list-content

Edited by drmauric
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, drmauric said:

@Neil Amswych

One of the suggestions early on, though it may not have been said directly, was if you want to use Skuthus for example, just give him another Spellcaster's statistics for the sake of those with just the core box. They should be pretty similar.

That could work but the only other option from our hero pool would be Hadrathus, right? 

9 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

That could work but the only other option from our hero pool would be Hadrathus, right? 

Yes. Well, Yogah has Spellcasting but...

On Tuesday @Matt John S listed Conan, Hadrathus, Shentu, Ikhmet, Niord, and Yogah as the main Hero pool with Shevatas and Belit being usable if necessary. (because in terms of canon, they would be long dead)

A prior post listed the King Box Heroes as usable, because that is all easily available to download, but it seems like we moved away from that idea once we started talking proxy and printing to make things easy on Core Box/ Retail Only people, which is our target audience.

So seems like we need a consensus here. We all seem to be on slightly different pages. :)

46 minutes ago, drmauric said:

Yes. Well, Yogah has Spellcasting but...

On Tuesday @Matt John S listed Conan, Hadrathus, Shentu, Ikhmet, Niord, and Yogah as the main Hero pool with Shevatas and Belit being usable if necessary. (because in terms of canon, they would be long dead)

A prior post listed the King Box Heroes as usable, because that is all easily available to download, but it seems like we moved away from that idea once we started talking proxy and printing to make things easy on Core Box/ Retail Only people, which is our target audience.

So seems like we need a consensus here. We all seem to be on slightly different pages. :)

Agreed. We do need a consensus. We could have our main scenarios, let's say 5 or 6 use the strict list of only retail elements, but allow optional scenarios to use all elements from the game. Perhaps these scenarios offer very minor rewards as far as progression goes and focus on things that happen elsewhere or "off screen" of our main story. It's just a thought. 

6 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

Agreed. We do need a consensus. We could have our main scenarios, let's say 5 or 6 use the strict list of only retail elements, but allow optional scenarios to use all elements from the game. Perhaps these scenarios offer very minor rewards as far as progression goes and focus on things that happen elsewhere or "off screen" of our main story. It's just a thought. 

I like this idea.  Something for everyone. Count me in for a Retail Only Scenario.

12 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

Sounds reasonable. Maybe Hadrathus hires someone to go retrieve an object, or get information from a well guarded informant, etc.

We should take care to watch out for scope creep, though. How many scenarios are we each writing? How much time will each scenario add in terms of tweaking and playtesting?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ken said:

Sounds reasonable. Maybe Hadrathus hires someone to go retrieve an object, or get information from a well guarded informant, etc.

We should take care to watch out for scope creep, though. How many scenarios are we each writing? How much time will each scenario add in terms of tweaking and playtesting?  

We could all pitch in 1-2 pieces and see what comes of it this Sunday.
Optional missions adding non-retail content also sounds like a fair trade-off to me, but we need to either make sure they're not all made up of extra-only pieces (lest retail buyers skip them on principle), make them proxy-patible, or balance them out with some retail-only optionals as well.

Did anybody already pick up the Yogah scenario idea yet? If so, I'd like to link up to it so maybe we can talk ideas.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:45 AM, Grizzlyface said:

Did anybody already pick up the Yogah scenario idea yet? If so, I'd like to link up to it so maybe we can talk ideas.

@Grizzlyface I am considering using Yogah in the opening scenario as a summoned guardian to help the other 3 Heroes escape the Tower. I realize this may short circut a few other ideas, but that's why I am considering the "summoned guardian" approach, so others can write him in or out of thier scenarios as they see fit. But with the narrower Hero pool (which I like) unfortunately we are going to be stepping on each other toes. I had pitched this idea pretty early on, before we were told to save our ideas for Sunday, but maybe it's best I get this out there again since I'm doing the opening sceanrio.

Of course I am open to suggestions once things begin to develop and I am holding onto this idea lightly until I see what is on everyone else's mind come Sunday.

Feel free to message me @Grizzlyface if this wasn't helpful. I still want to hold off with too much conversation until everyone gets a fair chance to pitch their ideas. :)

Edited by drmauric
added details

1 hour ago, drmauric said:

@Grizzlyface I am considering using Yogah in the opening scenario as a summoned guardian to help the other 3 Heroes escape the Tower. I realize this may short circut a few other ideas, but that's why I am considering the "summoned guardian" approach, so others can write him in or out of thier scenarios as they see fit. But with the narrower Hero pool (which I like) unfortunately we are going to be stepping on each other toes. I had pitched this idea pretty early on, before we were told to save our ideas for Sunday, but maybe it's best I get this out there again since I'm doing the opening sceanrio.

Of course I am open to suggestions once things begin to develop and I am holding onto this idea lightly until I see what is on everyone else's mind come Sunday.

Feel free to message me @Grizzlyface if this wasn't helpful. I still want to hold off with too much conversation until everyone gets a fair chance to pich their ideas. :)

What heroes do you plan to use Dan? Depending on what you do with the first one I may pitch mine as the second.  Yogah figures in mine but could either be in it or simply a reason for it (that'll make more sense later I hope!).

7 hours ago, Ken said:

Good point, and good idea @Ken. I am hoping we end up with 5 or 6 main scenarios and may 2 or 3 optional scenarios. 

@Primeval@drmauric@Neil Amswych@Grizzlyface

Feel free to pump the brakes on this if it's overreaching, but here's a little framework: 

If we think of Yogah of Yag having been resurrected, we can make it make sense and have him be a reoccurring character. In Red Nails, they bring dinosaurs or "dragons" back from the dead by using their bones as part of their spells. who says we can't have Yogah's Bones having been returned to his home in Khitai and have someone maybe even Hadrathus brings him back. or maybe the Khitai wizard does it and then Yogah teams up with Hadrathus. Anyways, we bring him and Hadrathus in for scenario one. Shentu obviously fits the Khitai motif, so he starts there too. I think Inkhmet could show up then too, perhaps he's a deserter of Thoth's assassins and joins the heroes instead. Whatever the motivations I think it's easy to begin with these 4 Heroes and keep them the 4 Heroes until we take things to Nordheim. At that point we introduce Niord and swap him out for someone else. the other swap later would be to bring in Conan.

So roughly: 

Scenario 1, 2, 3, we have Yogah, Inkhment, Shentu, and Hadrathus

Scenario 4 We swap one out and put in Niord, Conan's old buddy from his reaving days up North. 

Scenario 5 and 6 (A and B final scenarios) we swap one out for Conan. 

We don't have many more options for Heroes anyway, so couldn't we just stick to this pool? Side missions could open this up and put in all new ones. Maybe Pallantides is beset upon by horrors or assassins sent to Tarantia by Thoth. Boom. And any side missions could simply augment how the next scenario plays out. So say you insert a side mission (using whatever components we like) in between 3 and 4. if the Heroes win this 3.5 scenario, you could so something simple like have them begin play with one fewer gem in their fatigue, and if the Overlord won 3.5 they start with a few less in their fatigue. just gives that side a slightly stronger start and doesn't break anything but still has some meaning. 

Thoughts? Does that clash with anything or leave anyone out?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

Scenario 4 We swap one out and put in Niord, Conan's old buddy from his reaving days up North. 

If my idea pans out for scenario 5/6, I want to use Ikhmet, Hadrathus, Njord, and Conan anyway, so that works great for me!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

So roughly: 

This all looks really good to me. 5 or 6 main scenarios is a good number. And 2 or 3 sidequests feels right also.

• Like 2